Welcome to my blog!

Thanks for visiting my blog. As the title suggests, I love to scrapbook, stamp, and sing! I will share cards and scrapbook pages I create, as well as information about my music - Barbershop harmony.

Saturday, July 11, 2020

Twofer Butterflies including Day 11 Coloring!!

Hey everyone - having a good weekend? Beautiful day here - can't wait to get outside!! But first, here's my twofer for the latest Twofer Challenge - #29 Butterflies (warning - photo heavy post ahead):


 

My item in common is a beautiful, retired Hero Arts die (DI133 Swallowtail Butterfly Fancy Die). I've had it for many years. I've been planning to do Kathy's (The Daily Marker) print-making coloring technique since she posted it on Day 1 of her 30 Day Coloring Challenge. She used a butterfly and I was thinking of using one from My Favorite Things - just hadn't gotten around to it. Marcia Hill (Marcia's Stampin' Pad), tackled it on Day 8 - see it here. More inspiration and I still didn't jump on it. Then Darnell and crew announced the July challenge to use butterflies & I knew I could get it done! Last night I die cut a bunch of butterflies using the Hero Arts die instead of the MFT one. It was bigger and had an interesting pattern. I cut from pastel watercolor printed papers - beautiful 8x8 pad by Momenta (I have a huge stack because I keep running out of the blue!!). I arranged some butterflies on a piece of white card 4.25x5.5" - it wasn't working for me. Moved to a  5.5x8.5 piece of black card and liked it a lot! Here's a look at my arranging process:


I just took this quickie photo (sorry it was getting dark) so I'd be able to remember the arrangement as I took them off and glued them back down. I used Gina K Connect Glue - worked great. I usually put dots where there's room, then I squeeze glue onto the back of my hand and dab the back of the die to add glue to those teeny spots. Where I trimmed off, I added back in bare spots. Then I cut the background panel in half so I could use on two cards. Here's a closer look with supply list for card one:

Supplies:- Paper - DCWV A2 card; scrap of Neenah white;
Momenta Watercolor prints 8x8; Poptone Black Licorice
Stamps - Hero Arts It's Your Day (retired);
Clearly Besotted A Little Sentimental
Dies - Hero Arts DI133 Swallowtail Butterfly Fancy Die (retired);
My Favorite Things Blueprints 13 (retired);
Spellbinders Petite Labels One and Labels Thirty-Six (both retired)
Other - white gel pen; foam tape

Thought I share a photo of my print-making coloring process I used for card two:


Sorry, I did this early this morning and haven't had a chance to try and iron out the warping. Did pretty well on the pink side so maybe didn't spritz as much water around?? Anyway, just took a large sheet of watercolor paper (mine is 140lb Strathmore) and used it as a work surface to watercolor two butterflies cut from watercolor paper. After you've colored the dies, leaving various spotches of watercoloring, you spritz them, turn them over and press into the background for more images. I then chose a section, die cut it with a stitched rectangle and made it into card two. Here's a closer look with supply list:

Supplies: Paper - DCWV A2 card; Strathmore Watercolor 140lb; 
Tim Holtz Distress Watercolor Cardstock; Poptone Black Licorice
Dies - Hero Arts DI133 Swallowtail Butterfly Fancy Die (retired);
My Favorite Things Blueprints 13 (retired)
Stamps - Gina K Designs Natural Silhoettes (sentiment)
Other - Twinking H20s & Yasutomo watercolors; black pencil to shade

Bonus - a threefer! Since I had the other half of my black/pastel butterfly background, I thought I might as well make the second card with it. On this card, I used a smaller stitched rectangle and a scalloped mat with a different style of sentiment. Thus a completely new look, even though the background is similar. This one ended up with almost an entire purple butterfly so I broke that up with the white label.

Supplies:- Paper - DCWV A2 card; Neenah white;
Momenta Watercolor prints 8x8; Poptone Black Licorice
Stamps - Picket Fence Small Ways to Say Thank You
Dies - Hero Arts DI133 Swallowtail Butterfly Fancy Die (retired);
My Favorite Things Blueprints 2 and 20 (both retired);
Other - white gel pen; foam tape; Hero Arts flower gem

Whew - sorry for the long post! I had fun with this print-making coloring technique and will be uploading to Kathy's challenge. Still going strong on Day 11 - yay!!

Thanks to challenge hosts and teams and thanks to you for the visit!!

11 comments:

Betty said...

WOW and WOW!! two fantastic cards. i was planning on doing Kathy's watercolor print method too but just haven't been able to get around to it since Kath (daughter) is visiting. suppose there may be lots of entries like that - might have to dream up something different.

Rosemary said...

wow! what a stunning set of cards, linda!

TK said...

Really beautiful! Two gorgeous cards, and all those lovely colors!

Darnell said...

I'm so glad this worked out for you, Linda! I love the bold and colorful butterflies on the black card and the way you added white trails for even more interest! Very striking Onefer and Threefer! Your Twofer with the print-making technique turned out so perfectly! It would have been hard for me to cut that pretty piece of blue and pink watercolored paper! Remember when we all had blues and pinks and wallpaper in our homes? Wouldn't this be a gorgeous bathroom wallpaper? No, maybe we don't want to go back to wallpaper, but it certainly would be stunning framed and hung on the wall! The card you made with it is gorgeous! Thank you so much for playing in Twofer Card Challenge #29! Hugs, Darnell

papierelle said...

Both cards are so beautiful. I definitely want to try out the technique on your second card !!

Anita in France said...

Those soft pastel colours are just gorgeous against the black, Linda ... on both the first and third card ... and the white gel pen detailing really adds a sense of movement to the butterflies! How delicious is your die cut printing ... love that you chose the pink part to pair with the dreamy blue butterfly ... great contrast ... and so lovely! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Twofer! Anita :)

Jean said...

Another set of stunning cards!

Greta said...

That is a beautiful butterfly die & made fabulous cards, Linda! Just watched Kathy's video & want to give that technique a try. Your background came out great!

Kara Lynne said...

I loved hearing the process you went through to create these two beautiful cards! The rainbow of colors really stand out on the black and I love the stitched trails you created. What a fun and lovely technique to create your watercolor butterfly background on your second card. That is a great swallowtail, btw! Thanks for joining in the fun with us at the Twofer Card Challenge!

Nora Noll said...

These cards are so pretty!! I LOVE the background that you created on both of your cards. THese are amazing!!! I might have to try that technique with the watercolor.

Sue said...

I love your cards. The butterflies just pop off the black cs. I’ll have to check out Kathy’s post. You second card is beautiful as well. Love your background