Welcome to my blog!

Thanks for visiting my blog. As the title suggests, I love to scrapbook, stamp, and sing! I will share cards and scrapbook pages I create, as well as information about my music - Barbershop harmony.

Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Non-traditional Valentines

Hey there - I'm posting card one below at Die Cut Divas today, hoping to inspire you to play in our February Challenge. We're doing non-traditional Valentines & even though Valentine's Day was last week, you have until 9pm PST on the 29th to share your project. Our sponsor is the amazing Hero Arts who generously donated a $25 prize to our random winner - thanks so much!!

Supplies: Paper - Bazzill blue A2 cards;
BoBunny Boulevard 6x6"; Momenta Watercolor;
Tim Holtz Kraft Metallic; scrap of grey
Dies - Hero Arts Vintage Birdcase &
Spellbinders 
Stamps - Avocado Arts Valentine (retired)
Other - various enamel dots & gems



For me, non-traditional means no hearts and no red/pink colors. So I went with blues since this is one of my friend Heather's (Stamping and Stitching) favorite colors. I sent this card to her & her family in Ireland. They loved it!

I used a new Hero Arts birdcage die set I picked up in the January release. The birdcage cuts with a heart at the top but I trimmed it off in keeping with my idea of non-traditional. I used silver metallic and a soft grey shadow to die cut the birdcage. Die cut the birds from part of an A2 card I'd cut in half. Used that same card to cut the side panels (from Spellbinders). The floral spray & banner were cut using dies from the January MMH kit. Die cut a print background & adhered to an A2 card. Added the side panels and the elongated oval (same set) cut from a watercolor blue print. Added the birdcage & floral spray. Stamped the sentiment onto the banner & popped it over the birdcage top with foam tape. Added some gems & enamel dots to the flower centers - done!


Now for a bonus using a gorgeous Hero Arts peony set I got a while back but hadn't tried yet. I purchased the coordinating stencil to make for some quick and easy coloring. I continued with the blue theme:

Supplies: Paper - Bazzill A2 card; 
Neenah white; Authentique plaid
Stamps with Dies - Hero Arts Peonies Bunch
Stencil - Hero Arts Color Layering Peonies Bunch
Other - Hero Arts enamel dots & various inks;
gold sparkle pen

Found a Authentique plaid that didn't read Valentine colors to me, even if one of the stripes is an orangy red. Stamped the peonies and colored with the stencils; added gold sparkle to the centers, then die cut. Added to the card using foam tape. Stamped the sentiment (same set) onto a narrow strip & added to the card along with some enamel dots.

Still with me? We're celebrating birthdays today with two of the Divas - Arlene (A Bit of This and That) & Cindy (Escape to Stamping). I used the peony set to make a card for each of them & stenciled a bit in opposite corners - Memory Box Texture Diamonds (retired) on one and Hero Arts Script on the other. A sentiment using Spellbinders You are Everything Sentiments Betterpress plate completed each card.



Thanks for stopping by and we hope to see your project in the February Diva gallery! Happy crafting!




11 comments:

Dawn T said...

Simply beautiful cards Linda. Love the blues of the birdcage card and what delightful cards for our teamies. Stunning peonies.

Greta said...

Lots of inspiration in this post, Linda! Really love the bird cage card which is so non-traditional, but perfect for a Valentine! You're also making me think I need to look at the peonies set as you made such beautiful cards with it!

Lisa Elton said...

I kept scrolling back and forth taking in all of the prettiness, Linda! I love those pretty little blue birds in their fancy cage!

Rosemary said...

Wow, you are really knocking it out of the park with these four amazing cards, Linda!

Cat Craig said...

Linda spectacular cards, those blues are amazing for Valentines and your blooming birthday cards are sure to please.

Cindy C. said...

Beautiful cards thru and thru! Thank you so much for mailing me one of your fabulous makes. It looks so much better in real life!

Colleen said...

I really love the colors that you've used in your card! You limited three colors and that made your card work beautifully!!!!

wienerhoneymooners said...

SUPER cate and ultra lovely birdcage card. Wow... You are all blowing me away this challenge!!

Thanks so much for joining the Stay Crafty Challenge with a Blog Named Hero!

Trina P. said...

Whoa! You’ve been busy. What a great collection. As a lover of non-traditional cards, the first one caught my attention immediately.

~amy~ said...

All your projects are amazing!
Thanks so much for playing along with the Stay Crafty with A Blog Named Hero challenge!

Essie said...

Beautiful cards! I espeically love what you did with the birdcage and the newsprint background! Thanks so much for joining our Stay Crafty With a Blog Named Hero Challenge.