Welcome to my blog!

Thanks for visiting my blog. As the title suggests, I love to scrapbook, stamp, and sing! I will share cards and scrapbook pages I create, as well as information about my music - Barbershop harmony.

Monday, March 25, 2024

Betterpressed Butterflies

Happy Monday everyone! Did you get any snow? We got about 8.5" but now it's raining/sleeting - yuck!! Perfect time to stay in and craft (after shoveling, of course)!

It's Anything Goes this week for Darnell's IDEAS project - see her fabulous inspiration today at djkardkreations. Since IDEAS has no B for Betterpress, I'm taking advantage of the Anything Goes theme - lol. April will be here soon and I need 6 birthday cards in just the first 9 days of it! Here's a card for the first birthday coming up on April 4th:


Supplies: Paper - Spellbinders Betterpress Porcelain;
Recollections Black; Paper Studio A2 card
Betterpress plates with dies - Spellbinders Butterfly Swirl &
Inks - Spellbinders Betterpress Black & Memento Summer Sky
Other - Crayola pencils; Park Lane gems

I ordered the Betterpress from Spellbinders back in November & have been loving it! I especially love the sentiment sets with everything on one plate plus a matching single die. This butterfly set comes that way for the butterflies, plus it has a separate sentiment with matching die. I bought it at my fave local store, Anchor Paper, who dove right into Betterpress & carries plates from multiple brands.

After pressing the butterflies, I colored them with pencils. Normally I don't like coloring with pencils but I received a beautiful birthday card from Hilary (fiddling about) who'd done her pressed flower image with pencils (she hasn't blogged it yet). Very pretty - thanks again, Hilary! So I decided to try my luck with pencils. Since the butterflies are small, I didn't do much shading.

Next, I die cut the butterfly panel with a stitched rectangle and brushed ink along three edges. Adhered it to a black mat, then an orange A2 card. Added a pressed sentiment with shadow, done with a multiple sentiment plate - love it! Added some rainbow gems among the butterflies - done! I'm adding my card to Darnell's March NBUS Challenge since the press plate is newly used.

Then I had the idea to spray a piece of Betterpress paper with some Hero Arts shimmer sprays and, once dry, press the butterflies. These I went ahead and die cut in one pass with the matching die. I'll save them for future but here's how they turned out (I used black ink but it appears brown on the shimmery background):


And why not another Betterpress card? This time I made a Christmas card with a plate I ordered from Spellbinders when they had a sale right before Christmas. First time using it too! The current Christmas Kickstart Challenge is highlighting the color green so what could be better than a bunch of pine trees?! This is my second entry (max of 3).


Supplies: Paper - Park Lane A2 card; 
scrap of red; Betterpress Bisque
Betterpress Plate with Die - Spellbinders Seasons Greetings Evergreens
Dies - A Jillian Vance Design Stitched Dot Rectangle Backdrop Set;
Impression Obsession Cardinals
Betterpress Inks - Leaf & Cosmic Sky
Other - Hero Arts Sparkle Lacquer; R46 Copic; black & white gel pens

Looking at my Betterpress inks, I wanted something more piney than Leaf which is my only green. So, while inking the plate I added a couple layers of Cosmic Sky (medium blue) & then more Leaf - it worked! I did the sentiment with just the Leaf - you can see the difference. I added a line of sparkle lacquer to the base of the pines & then a trio of cardinals which I detailed with gel pens & a Copic.

Thanks for stopping by & have a wonderful day!




10 comments:

Lisa Elton said...

I haven't jumped on the Betterpress bandwagon yet, but I do like what I'm seeing! Your card turned out beautifully, Linda and I look forward to seeing what you do with those extra butterflies!

Loll said...

Your are having such great success with the BetterPress system, Linda. Two beautiful cards!! I have not bought it ... yet. :) xx

Dotty Jo said...

Gorgeous cards, Linda! I think I need to investigate the whole Betterpress phenomena asasp. Love your gorgeous green Christmas card - looks so lovely. Thanks for joining Meghan and me at Christmas Kickstart, Jo x

Lin said...

2 lovely cards, Linda! I haven't gotten into betterpress yet, but every card I see using it pushes me a little closer......

Cat Craig said...

So pretty, love the sense of movement and the deep impression for your lovely coloring.

Jean said...

You've nicely showcased the BetterPress on two terrific cards.

HilaryJane said...

Beautiful card. I love the BetterPress too and have that tree plate. So thanks for the inspiration for that one. I have been playing with an early birthday present today - a stampwheel. It is brilliant for turnabouts. I am very pleased xx

Trina P. said...

You’ve been busy. Fabulous cards. I love the BP and need to use it more.

Greta said...

You're really on a roll with the press plates! Love how the butterfly card turned out and the tree card is just my kind of Christmas card! I know the shimmery butterflies will be put to good use! I have a terrible time with one piece dies, but doesn't look like it was a problem for you.

Rosemary said...

Beautiful set of cards, Linda. Especially like the butterfly one. I haven't jumped on the betterpress bandwagon and I probably won't. I barely use my Glimmer machine for hot foiling!