Welcome to my blog!

Thanks for visiting my blog. As the title suggests, I love to scrapbook, stamp, and sing! I will share cards and scrapbook pages I create, as well as information about my music - Barbershop harmony.

Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Sanctuary

Hello from my private sanctuary! Isn't that what home feels like these days? I had another play with the Hero Arts August 2020 My Monthly Hero Kit - such a fabulous kit - I love it!! I created my card specifically for the current (#13) Stay Crafty with Hero Challenge.

Supplies: Paper - Poptone Black Licorice; 
Neenah Classic Crest Solar White 110 lb
Stamps - Hero Arts August 2020 My Monthly Hero kit (with matching dies)
Dies - My Favorite Things Blueprints (retired)
Stencil  - Hero Arts SA001 Large Lotus Pattern 
Other - Hero Arts Aqua Glimmer Metallic Ink (January 2020 MMH kit - sold out);
Speckled Egg Distress Re-inker; Shaving cream; Copic Markers; foam tape

With the challenge announcement, Hero Arts alerted us to free access to a series of Hero Arts/Creativebug tutorials by Libby Hickson, a Hero Arts designer who blogs at Libby's Little Addiction. I watched all 31 of them and a couple more than once! Even experienced crafters can gain new knowledge from tips Libby shares; thanks Libby!! With the current Stay Crafty challenge you take inspiration from one of the videos - I chose the shaving cream one (Day 30). Libby says early on this is an old technique - do you know, I'd never tried it!! She did it over a stencil so that was my first experience with it. I'll share the photos of my stenciled pieces - I made two:



Libby recommended a travel size shaving cream and I was lucky enough to find one at Target. A lot of the shaving stuff is gel now so you have to read the cans carefully!! Somehow I think the technique would be lost using the gel - LOL! Libby mentioned it's best to use a stencil with a lot of open space for this technique. First thing I did was to ignore her advice - the peacock feather stencil has a lot of nooks and crannies but I still wanted to try it. Well, some parts turned out better than others as you can see! 

Next I had a go with the lotus flowers - more open areas on this stencil. This one turned out better so I used it for my card. I die cut the panel with a stitched rectangle drew a green line to mark off the bottom. Stamped my sentiment and created a grassy area using a bit of dot coloring as Jennifer McGuire showed here. I love how it blended in with the shaving cream background! Die cut, stamped and colored the images and arranged on my card - done! Not very realistic to have a pile of only 6 books - LOL; I have at least five piles of recently read books (each with more than 6 books)!! Why don't I put them away in a bookcase, you ask? Just like them close, I guess.... 

Here's a look at this darling kit which is still available as of this post; I can't believe it hasn't sold out already!
Kit

Thanks again to Hero Arts for continuing the Stay Crafty Challenges and for having Libby create the tutorials! Thanks to Creativebug for offering free access to this series too! Finally, thanks to you for visiting me!!

7 comments:

Cat Craig said...

Cool effect!

Betty said...

cool effect with shaving cream and i like both results! i tried this ages ago (still have the shaving cream) but made the mistake of buying one with a scent and it made me cards have such a sweet smell that i didn't like - so needless to say have ot tried it since!! i always use the library so no books lying around here!

aussie aNNie said...

This is one magnificent effect, love the result.xx

Trina P. said...

The shaving cream technique is an oldie, but I’ve never done it through a stencil... may have to re-visit it and try with a stencil. Your background is beautiful. It has a very organic effect. Love the colours.
p.s. thanks for letting me know about the win at CCC... was a complete surprise! 🤗

Dawn T said...

Fantastic card Linda. Your background is stunning. I watched Gina K do a tutorial on shaving cream recently but have never seen it done with stencils before. Your background is perfect with the stamped and die cut images. I have favourited Libby's videos - they are awesome.

Rosemary said...

great card, linda! love that background you created!

Jean said...

A very fun background - I want to jump right into that scene.