Welcome to my blog!

Thanks for visiting my blog. As the title suggests, I love to scrapbook, stamp, and sing! I will share cards and scrapbook pages I create, as well as information about my music - Barbershop harmony.

Friday, August 28, 2020

Foiled! And Foiled Again!!

Hey everyone - I have to laugh when I hear the word foiled. I think of that villian in the old Rocky & Bullwinkle cartoons who would said "curses, foiled again" whenever his evil plot failed. But now I'm talking about foiling on cards using the Spellbinders Glimmer Hot Foil system. Here's my card (I kept as much shadow off as I could):

Supplies: Paper - Spellbinders Vintage Mementos (from July kit)
Paper Studio silver A2 card & white cardstock
Spellbinders oval plate from the  Glimmer Hot Foil System set
Stamps - Hero Arts CG279 Musical Clef and 
Raisin Boat Feel the Beat (both retired)
Other - Recollections flowers, Spellbinders silver foil

I was shopping at Hobby Lobby a few weeks ago and noticed they had the Glimmer Hot Foil System set on special. I resisted - didn't need that, I said to myself. Then Jennifer McGuire showed all her fabulous cards and tips here - she made it look fun & easy. So today when I went to Hobby Lobby, I told myself I'd get the set if it was still on special. It was; so here I am with foiling on a card!! This one will go to one of my chorus members for our Stay-in-Touch program. It's a version of a previous card but I figure, with over 100 to make, I might as well modify each batch. I make & send about 8 cards every two weeks.

The oval was my first attempt at foiling - here's how it looked right after:


As you can see, I got foil where I didn't want it and my oval went a bit off the page. To get around the first problem, I fussy cut the oval. I flipped the flat end to the bottom & used flowers to cover it up! Next I tried some sentiments - Best Wishes came with the set and the rest came in a separate set I also purchased. One plate shifted in the machine ruining the "Thanks a Bunch" sentiment, oh well - I'm just learning, right? Otherwise, I got a bit better at it!


Next I tried a letterpress onto watercolor paper using the oval plate and Hero Arts ink:


Isn't that gorgeous? I love the texture of the watercolor paper showing through - so pretty in real life! I'll make a card with that panel sometime soon. I'll add my card to Virginia's August Show and Share (my last of four entries) and to Darnell's NBUS Challenge since my glimmer plate is new. Thanks again to both of them!

That's it for today - off to play with my new machine!!

August's Show & Share Grab our badge to display on your blog.

9 comments:

Betty said...

have fun with your new toy - gorgeous cards - and remember that villain so well when my kids would watch those cartoons!

Cindy Beach said...

Hi Linda,
I've been meaning to try foiling. I didn't want to know about the Hobby Lobby sale though.(Just kidding!) Your card turned out beautifully.

Rosemary said...

Just took a quick scroll through your blog and you have been very, very busy, Linda! Your foiled card is so pretty! There can be a little bit of a learning curve with hot foiling, but if you want some really good tips make sure you check out (if you haven't yet) Yana Smakula's videos on using the Glimmer.

Lin said...

I caved, too, and the Glimmer System is on its way to me. Love this pretty oval frame, and your resulting cards!

Mac Mable said...

Yay to your new purchase and I enjoyed reading your post Linda x. What a fabulous card with a great design layout and a thoughtful theme for your stay in touch programme x.

Jean said...

Gorgeous foiling! Love the gold on the burgundy paper.

Virginia L. said...

It’s wonderful to see you try new things and play with techniques. So glad that you join the fun with my “Show & Share”! WONDERFUL! Very happy to see your lovely work! Thank you for your support!

Dawn T said...

Well done Linda. I have been tempted to get one, but really can't justify it. I do have a friend with one so often get some foiling done when I meet up with her. Your card is gorgeous and love the save.

Greta said...

Good thing I didn't see that sale--haha! I've been wishing I had the Glimmer system ever since Rosemary got hers. Good that you're not discouraged with the learning curve. I know your chorus friends will love their cards & that letterpress look is fabulous!