Welcome to my blog!

Thanks for visiting my blog. As the title suggests, I love to scrapbook, stamp, and sing! I will share cards and scrapbook pages I create, as well as information about my music - Barbershop harmony.

Friday, July 14, 2023

Fun with Hero Arts' First Mixed Media Stamp-Along!!

Hi all - welcome!! If you've been around me long, you know I LOVE Hero Arts!! This weekend is their first Stamp-Along specifically for mixed media. We're doing covers & pages for an accordion art journal; one came in the supply kit if you chose to buy one (I did). Tonight the event kicked off with a welcome from Hero CEO Aaron Leventhal, then a prerecorded interview with a couple Hero employees who love mixed media & art journals. Next, we had a class by the amazing Lydia Fiedler called CREATE. Here's my version of her page (complete with my inky fingers).

Supplies: Paper - Strathmore Bristol Smooth
Stamps - Hero Arts Rough Dot Bold Prints and Mixed Textures
Stencil - Tim Holtz Dot Fade;
Hero Arts Stacked Circles
Other - Hero Arts Liquid Watercolors, Ocean Blue/Gold Spray,
Pearl Hero Paste; Gold Hero Wax; Hero Transfers from class kit

As usual, Libby Hickson (Libby's Little Addiction) from Hero Arts did a homework Live on the Wednesday before the event. Well, my dad went into the hospital so I was down visiting him. He came home late Wednesday to the meal he requested I cook for him - LOL - and is doing much better. My baby sister is visiting him too so I was able to come home yesterday and to do my homework this afternoon.

For Lydia's class homework, we just stamped randomly on smooth card stock using a script and a text stamp stuck on our fingers, then we had to stencil a small pattern with Hero Paste so it would be dry for class. She used glitter paste but mine dried up since the last event so I used the pearl kind - love it! During her class we added liquid watercolors, dried it and stamped some dots in white ("taco stamping" - folding a big cling like at taco and going randomly, then sprayed through a stencil. Added some rub-ons, die cut out the word CREATE from the page, then from another cardstock to stack back for dimension. She did 3 times, I just did one from heavyweight cardstock. So fun! My right hand was worse in terms of ink on it but I needed it to take the photo!

Since I was doing the homework this afternoon anyway, I decided to make a quick mixed media card for my adopt-a-member AJ (read about that program HERE if you missed it & are interested).

Additional supplies: Paper - Strathmore cold press watercolor paper; 
Michael's black; Spellbinders A2 card
Sentiment Stamp - Hero Arts Encouragement Sentiment Strips
Other - Hero Arts enamel dot from a retired MMH kit;
Versamark ink & Ranger Seafoam White ep

I used the pink and bright pink liquid watercolors (AJ loves pink) and some salt water taffy reactive reinker on watercolor paper. Did the finger stamping with just the script stamp, added the texture paste with the dot fade stencil, then die cut into rectangle once dry. I used the stacked circles stencil too, spraying some shimmer spray through it. Hard to see the pattern in the photo but it's so pretty in real life. The butterfly was sitting in the bits box - plain watercolor paper. I added some liquid watercolor and a gem. The sentiment strips come in one big stamp and can be trimmed with a paper trimmer or die cut using a special die. The die works for multiple stamp sets at Hero Arts, plus it cuts fun strips for general use too.

I'll add the card to Darnell's July NBUS Challenge since the encouragement strips and script stamps are new. So is a bunch of stuff for the journal page but I'll just do one linky :)

Hope you'll stop back to see my creations from tomorrow's classes. I probably won't be able to post those til Sunday since the classes run late. Happy crafting!!



7 comments:

Dawn T said...

Totally awesome Linda. Both your mixed media pieces are awesome. Your page is stunning with all those elements and just adore your pink card.

papierelle said...

I don't know which fascinates me more, your cards or your fingers... *laugh*

Lisa Elton said...

Great job, Linda, these look amazing! Your fingers do too ;)

HilaryJane said...

I do admire you for doing these classes. I feel exhausted just reading about them on your blog! I am loving the mixed media elements of these, so much interest and variation. I shall move onto the main event now xx

Cat Craig said...

Clearly time well spent. fab.

Jean said...

Glad to hear your father is doing better.
Beautiful creations from the event!

Rosemary said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun with mixed media, Linda! Both projects are amazing.