Welcome to my blog!

Thanks for visiting my blog. As the title suggests, I love to scrapbook, stamp, and sing! I will share cards and scrapbook pages I create, as well as information about my music - Barbershop harmony.

Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Gingerbread Boy

Hello and welcome! If you celebrated Independence Day yesterday, hope you enjoyed it! Mine was very low key - didn't even watch fireworks on television. We had a huge thunderstorm in the morning but it cleared up for the baseball game - the Twins beat the Royals - yay!! 

Jo (Jos Blogs) and elf Carol (just me: c) posted the July Christmas Kickstart Challenge yesterday and I just had to play along! I used a Penny Black gingerbread boy from 2010 that I unearthed from the Christmas craft box.

Supplies: Paper - Authentique Colorful Christmas;
Doodlebug Design Home for the Holidays;
My Favorite Things Very Merry;
Anchor Paper Dessert Sand & Rainbow Stack
Stamps - Penny Black Ginger Joy
Other - Copic Markers; white gel pen; 
Hero Arts pearls & enamel dots; 
Taylored Expressions sentiment strip

I stamped the gingerbread boy on kraft card, colored with Copics, added white gel pen details, then fussy cut. I included a stamp-off on the plain kraft so you can see the difference from the final result. I think the eyes on the stamp are too close to the mouth, kinda creeps me out!! So I masked off the eyes and added black pearls further away from the mouth - much better, don't you think? I covered the stamped buttons with some enamel dots.

Next I shuffled through the stack of 6x6 holiday papers, finding a perfect cookie background, a red houndstooth and a green striped. The first red A2 card I found in the stash was the wrong shade but I found a perfect one in a rainbow stack. Just needed to be scored. Die cut the houndstooth with an HA oval & assembled the card, popping the gingerbread boy up with foam tape. A pre-printed TE sentiment finished the card.

I'm not sure how long I've owned the PB Ginger Joy stamp but it's been several years. It turned up in the search for a different gingerbread set that I didn't find, oh well... I could tell he had never been opened as the price tag was stuck over the package closure & it was sealed tight. It's definitely been a while since I bought it - the price tag says $8.29 and the price is now $10 at PB! Since he's getting first play today, I'll add my card to Darnell's July NBUS Challenge.

That's it for today, friends - thanks for stopping & happy crafting!!







13 comments:

Lisa Elton said...

He's a fun little fella! Cute card, Linda!

Dawn T said...

so cute Linda. Love this little gingerbread guy.

Dotty Jo said...

He's adorably cute! I prefer your version with the eyes and do agree it looks much better. Beautiful colouring. Thanks for joining Carol and me at CKC, Jo x

ionabunny said...

Gosh, he's adorably cute. I wonder if his creepy eyes are actually his nostrils, but even so, who wants to look up a gingerbread man's nose. I love the eyes and the buttons you gave him. He looks so dimensional and adorable. Fabulous. Hugz

cm said...

Ohmystars! Your gingerbread is so realistic and absolutely adorable! love how you changed his eyes from the original and the patterned papers you've paired him with are perfect! Thank you so much for bringing your gingerbread treat to the Christmas Kickstart gallery!
~carol

Cindy C. said...

This gingerbread boy is a cutie!!

Rosemary said...

That gingerbread man is adorable and makes for a wonderful Christmas card!

Jean said...

Super cute! Nicely framed/showcased with your design.

papierelle said...

Everyone knows that. We all still have little treasures lying around that we have never used. All the more gratifying that the gingerbread boy has now been discovered by you, because the card is really delicious .... oh very nice!!!

Trina P. said...

Sweet ginger boy! Great job altering the eyes and colouring him on Kraft.

Arlene said...

How very cute!

Cat Craig said...

Fabulous job coloring and I love the 3-d eyes.

Angelnorth said...

Cute gingerbread man! Love your colouring and the eyes you added — I reckon the ones on the stamp could be made to look like a nose if you didn’t want to bother masking them off.