Welcome to my blog!

Thanks for visiting my blog. As the title suggests, I love to scrapbook, stamp, and sing! I will share cards and scrapbook pages I create, as well as information about my music - Barbershop harmony.

Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Lots of Stars!

Hey there - I'm popping in today with my first cards for an Adopt-a-Member program I joined. Some of you may remember that I marched back in the day with the Blue Stars Drum and Bugle Corps from La Crosse WI. The current corps Director of Organizational Leadership asked alumni to sign up to adopt a 2023 member for the summer. How fun - I signed right up!! We'll send cards, letters, care packages, etc to help boost the members' spirits during the long days of rehearsing and touring.

I got the name of a rookie colorguard member - I'll use her initials AJ for my story. I sent her a card seen later in this post, giving her my contact information and wishing her a great experience with the corps. AJ texted me when she received the card last week (she loved it) and shared some life details. I learned AJ graduated from high school just two weeks before heading off to the corps' spring camp!

I'll lead with the grad card I sent AJ - another pop up bridge card (they are addictive!!). Go HERE if you missed the first one I made....

Supplies: Paper - Doodlebug Designs grad patterned;
Lawn Fawn grey dot patterned; Neenah white: Hero Arts Glitter Basics
Stamps with dies - Hero Arts Friendly Messages Bundle
Other - Paper Studio star gems; foam tape

Here's a view from the top so you can see the fold - so simple and fun! Be sure to check out Jennifer McGuire's video on this type of card. It flattens perfectly for mailing. The little grad label was fussy cut from the Doodlebug paper; love that paper!!

I'll share this card at Darnell's June NBUS Challenge since my HA Circle Set is getting first play today. I bought this set with a big bundle for the upcoming online Summer Mixed Media Stamp Along - would love to "see" you there! The Stamp Along instructors always share amazing tips and we created a lovely bundle of projects every time.

Next, I'll share the first and second cards I sent to AJ. Since the corps name includes Star - I leaned heavily on that shape!



The card at left used the Poppystamps All Star Collage (retired but found HERE at Frantic Stamper) and Hero Arts 5-Point Stars Infinity Dies. I cut the blue star from a 4.5x6.5" panel and then continued cutting various sized stars to have on hand. When I was done, I had a fabulous negative that I decided to use on card two. I filled in some of the negative spaces with smaller blue stars, then some bitty gold & pastel blue stars from cutting previous All Star Collages, The sentiments come from a couple of retired Hero Arts sets.

That's it for today - hope you're having a crafty week! Thanks for stopping by!!


5 comments:

Jean said...

Terrific cards for a wonderful program!

Rosemary said...

Wonderful set of cards, Linda. So neat that you are part of such a great organization and get to use your crafting skills to encourage a new member!

Angelnorth said...

What a lovely idea, I’m sure corps members will love getting encouragement from alumni and AJ has the bonus of your lovely handmade cards! These all look great, that bridge fold is a fun one!

Dawn T said...

Gorgeous cards Linda. And what an awesome idea - I can imagine the joy you are spreading.

HilaryJane said...

What a lovely idea for past members to support current ones. I bet your cards and messages are really appreciated. Three great cards. I will have to make one of those bridge cards sooner or later xx