Welcome to my blog!

Thanks for visiting my blog. As the title suggests, I love to scrapbook, stamp, and sing! I will share cards and scrapbook pages I create, as well as information about my music - Barbershop harmony.

Thursday, September 8, 2022

Butterfly with Gesso Dots

Hey everyone - I hope you're having a great week! After the holiday weekend, I'm struggling to remember what day it is - does that happen to you? Anyway, I'm glad it's only Thursday!

The talented Hilary (Fiddling About) hosts this month at CAS Mix Up and asks for stencils & gesso. Since I know Hilary through the Card Chain Challenge, I thought I'd make the effort to play along! If I ever had any gesso, I can't find it in the stash so I went out and bought some. I got it in the art area at JoAnn's and it's very thin - oh well, live & learn....

Supplies: Paper - Park Lane A2 card; Neenah white;
Poptone Black Licorice
Stencil - Hero Arts Chevron Stencil Pair
Stamp with die - Hero Arts Color Layering Monarch Butterfly
Die - A Jillian Vance Design Stitched Dot Rectangle Backdrop Set
Other - Artsmith Gesso, Tim Holtz Mustard Seed Distress Ink

I've had this Hero Arts stencil set for ages and decided to give it some love. I had a thought to do a border for another butterfly I had sitting here. I applied the gesso through the stencil onto a white stitched rectangle and left to dry. Came back later and blended Distress Ink slightly off to further off the dots - sorta hard to see in the photo. Matted it in black and glued to an A2 card. Cut a TE sentiment strip into 4 bits and added going down the border. Curled the wings up on a monarch and popped up with some foam tape - done!

Thanks to Hilary and the CAS Mix Up Team for a fun challenge! Since it was out on the craft table, I also used some gesso with a new stencil for an upcoming Die Cut Divas project. Please watch for it on the 21st and if you have an Anything Goes project, be sure to upload it to our September gallery.

Thanks for stopping!


10 comments:

Loll said...

Hi Linda. Gesso is very thin --- so it's all good. It is used for a variety of things, but I believe the initial intention was to add a thin coating over canvas which holds acrylic paint well. Card makers are so good at using art products for other things ... and gesso has become one of those that works well with card making too. :) Thank you for buying some and playing along with us. I hope you'll try out some of the other techniques with gesso to make good use of your purchase. Thanks for sharing your beautiful card with us at CAS Mix Up! xx

HilaryJane said...

Well, a special thank you comes your way from me for not only taking part in our gesso and stencil challenge this month, but for actually going out to buy some. Yes, I had the same problem with my thin gesso, but discovered that you can get thick or heavy gesso that is much easier to use with stencils and acts a little bit more like a paste. Anyway, I love your card and especially the little halo effect you created with your yellow ink. I am thrilled that you found time to join us. I am feeling very sad right now as I have just heard about the death of our precious Queen. I think I am going to sign off now and allow myself a little time to be sad xx

Bonnie said...

Your gesso worked perfectly and I love the yellow dots and that gorgeous butterfly, Linda! Thanks so much for sharing this with us at CAS Mix Up!

Lisa Elton said...

What a lovely way to flutter into someone's mailbox to say hello!

nancy littrell said...

Beautiful stenciled dots with Gesso, Linda. I noticed right away how you also stenciled a 2nd time for a shadow effect...worked great. Gorgeous die cut and watercolored butterfly to place over your stenciled background and fun way to add your cut up sentiment. So pleased you went out an bought Gesso just for our challenge. Be sure and check out the videos for additional ways to use your new product:-) The nice thing about Gesso...it does not harden...I have had my jar for several years and it is still nice and thin and runny. I will be checking out your other challenge too...Hugs, Nancy

Dawn T said...

Great card Linda. Gesso does come in a variety of thickness. It is a bit like paint... some thick some thin. I've got a nice medium bodied one. Thanks for the heads up with the challenge. Must try and get an entry in.

My Paper Epiphany said...

Your stencilled and shaded Gesso looks very pretty and I love the design of your CAS card. Thanks for joining us at CAS Mix Up:)

Rosemary said...

beautiful card, linda. love the stenciling up the side topped off with that lovely butterfly.

Cat Craig said...

Lovely card, Linda. That gesso was a good buy.

Jean said...

Great job working through your gesso issue! The yellow dots and sentiment strips pair nicely with that butterfly.