Welcome to my blog!

Thanks for visiting my blog. As the title suggests, I love to scrapbook, stamp, and sing! I will share cards and scrapbook pages I create, as well as information about my music - Barbershop harmony.

Saturday, January 14, 2023

Stenciled Ornaments

Hey friends - how's your weekend going? Lovely sunny day here, albeit a bit windy and 25F! I'm playing along at the January Christmas Kickstart Challenge today - gotta keep that Christmas card production going, right? We're to use Stencils &/or Masks; I've used both.

Supplies: Paper - Park Lane A2 card (trimmed);
Hero Arts Glitter Basics; Paper Studio glitter & vellum
Stencil - Hero Arts Ornaments Grid
Stamp - Penny Black Christmas Story
Dies - Birch Press Design Felicity Snowflakes;
Michael's Recollections b Handwritten Words (retired)
Other - Hero Arts Hero Paste Glitter & Grape Juice ink

Here's another example of a "make it work" project. I started with an A2 horizontal card base & stenciled a row of the ornaments (masking off the other rows) in Grape Juice ink, then applied glitter paste over it. Allowed to dry and noticed a blob on each outside ornament - ugh! Decided to trim the card to be a 4" square - blobs gone!!

Next I masked off the ornaments to stamp at the top. It didn't stamp very well along the mask and I also decided I'd left too much space. I tried a patterned strip - no bueno. Then I spied some glittery die cut snowflakes with a vellum mat layer - ooo, a trio of those would be lovely. Adhered them with foam tape along with a JOY die cut sentiment. I think I'm done when I spy a mark above one snowflake - noooo. Got out some more snowflakes and added them - whew! Now it kinda looks like a Christmas tree outline. doesn't it? Only my sentiment could've been the trunk but it was already glued down at right. Oh well.... The vellum I used comes in single sheets at Hobby Lobby & is a gorgeous ombre; I picked a midtone for the snowflakes and also used it to shadow the sentiment.

After all that, I really love how this turned out. I will also add my card to Darnell's January NBUS Challenge since the ornament stencil is new. I don't think I've used the Felicity snowflakes before either. But then again, I used snowflakes from my bits box and didn't know the brand so I can't say for sure. I do know I spotted Rosemary using them recently on a gorgeous card & thought, I have that die set - should use it, LOL. 

Oh - and here are a couple lovely holiday cards I received after I posted the beautiful batch I received in December. I could definitely spot a Hilary card in the mailbox since she loves decorating her envelopes. Thanks Jo & Hilary!!


Thanks for stopping & have a crafty weekend!!



9 comments:

Angelnorth said...

I thought the flakes looked like a Christmas tree outline before I read your description! Love the purple and the sparkle and you’d never know it’s a card of “rescues”, looks great!

Jean said...

Yay for making it work and for getting a jumpstart this early! Fun card.

Dawn T said...

what a gorgeous card Linda even after all the effort to get it finalised. Great start to your 2023 Christmas cards.

papierelle said...

An unusual color, but that's what I love about the card.

Dotty Jo said...

Just like Gundi, I love the non-traditional colours! This is lovely, Linda, and great save with cutting of the edges of the card... we've all been there. Thanks for playing again at Christmas Kickstart, Jo x

HilaryJane said...

It is funny how some cards just happen and others have a whole story that unfolds as they come together. You did good with this one as it has come together well despite the hiccups on the way. I am so glad my card arrived. I am loving the Spellbinders embossing folders these days. I have the newish daisy one that I think is my all time favourite embossing folder. You will see it on my Jan CCC card, unless I share another card using it first. Have made several already xx

Pia S said...

Fun story about how this card came to, and it turned out beautiful:)

Rosemary said...

fun and unique design, linda!

Greta said...

Unique & love card, Linda! So fun having friends all over the world we can exchange cards with!