Welcome to my blog!

Thanks for visiting my blog. As the title suggests, I love to scrapbook, stamp, and sing! I will share cards and scrapbook pages I create, as well as information about my music - Barbershop harmony.

Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Magical Manly

Hey crafty friends - I'm glad you stopped by! Why magical you ask? Jennifer McGuire recently shared a technique with Distress Inks that she, with her daughter's input, called Simple Magic Color Distress Technique. I decided to try it with a new stencil that just arrived in the mail yesterday along with my set of Tim Holtz's latest Distress color - Uncharted Mariner. This card is my third and final entry to the June Let's Squash It Challenge Make it Manly.

Supplies: Paper - Bazzill A2 card; Michael's green;
Neenah Classic Crest Solar White 110 lb;
Authentique Endless Collection 8x8
Embossing Folder - Sizzix 3D Textured Impressions Happy Birthday
Stamp with die - Poppystamps Say it Big
Stencil - Concord and 9th Confetti Dots Turnabout Stencil
Other - Hero Arts Enamel Dots; Distress Inks

I started with a 6x6 piece of heavyweight Neenah and applied the Uncharted Mariner direct to paper, going both ways on the paper for thick coverage. Dried with heat tool. Using a turnabout stencil with all four turns, I applied Tumbled Glass, Spun Sugar, Twisted Citron and baby wipe. The baby wipe was the least successful - next time I'd use Picket Fence DI, I think. Dried between each layer & then die cut the panel to fit an A2 card. Embossed it with the Sizzix bday folder & ran Uncharted Mariner over the raised bits. It smudged some flat bits too so I spritzed the panel with water and smoothed the color where possible. You can see the glow of the stenciled dots through the embossed words - so great in real life!

Added my panel to an A2 card along with a strip of woodgrain patterned paper & the sentiment atop a circle. Decided to add some enamel dots to echo the dots in the stencil. My card will also go to Darnell's June NBUS Challenge since my stencil got first play today, along with my new ink - such a gorgeous color!

Thanks for visiting & enjoy your day!

 




14 comments:

Angelnorth said...

Love the bright lime with the new Uncharted Mariner (managed to avoid typing Ancient Mariner then but it’s going to happen sometime, I’m sure!). Great masculine birthday card, Linda!

Jean said...

Fabulous colors and textures. Really like how you've matted and grounded the sentiment.

Jeanne H said...

What a beautiful card! Love the colors you used.

Pat said...

What a fun technique and so pretty Linda, and the Uncharted Mariner DI packs a punch and is great as the dark colour for the background..having watched the Jennifer McGuire video. The word embossing folder works well too, and I love the added blue over the words, and the large sentiment finishes it perfectly. Thank you for joining in again over at the NBUS Challenge. x

ionabunny said...

Fabulous card. Love the colours on the embossed panel. Thanks for joining the fun at Let's Squash It! Hugz

Trina P. said...

Great masculine card. Well done on the technique. Still need to get this new DI colour.

HilaryJane said...

This is interesting and very clever, lots of texture in that background. That new distress colour is pretty special. I don't know how you manage to enter challenges 3 times, I can't even manage one! xx

Lisa Elton said...

Great background, this is terrific!

Rosemary said...

Another fabulous card, Linda.

papierelle said...

It's really a great effect. I work far too little with embossing folders, I absolutely have to change that.

Barb Finnical said...

Linda, I love this card! I am always looking for good ideas for masculine cards. I love the background, and how you used the circle and the cut out sentiment to make the message pop. I'm going to pin this on one of my Pinterest boards! :)

Greta said...

Great guy card, Linda! Maybe I DO need that new color--haha!

Lucy E. said...

I love that background-what a fun technique!

Loll said...

Fabulous card Linda. LOVE the colours and design of your amazing background. Will have to check out Jennifer's video! xx