Welcome to my blog!

Thanks for visiting my blog. As the title suggests, I love to scrapbook, stamp, and sing! I will share cards and scrapbook pages I create, as well as information about my music - Barbershop harmony.

Monday, August 21, 2023

Pop up Fun with Poppystamps!

Hey there - I'm posting inspiration at Die Cut Divas today with card one below, plus I have a bonus for you! Our August Diva Challenge is Pop-Up Creations. The DT has been working with Poppystamps products but you can use any supplies. Just be sure to use an embossing folder &/or a die cut in your pop-up design. Poppystamps has generously donated a $20 gift card to their online store as a prize to our random winner.

Supplies: Paper - Hero Arts and My Favorite Things;
Neenah White; "acetate"
Dies - Poppystamps Floral Vase Pop Up Easel Set 
Hot Foil - Poppystamps Modest Greetings 1
Other - Spellbinders foil; Paper Studio gems



I've had the gorgeous Floral Vase set since Poppystamps released it in their 2023 Valentine collection - just hadn't made the effort to use it until now. Shame on me! 

Process: Die cut pop up base and card front base from Arctic cardstock. Assemble.
Die cut the vase twice - once from white, once from acetate or other clear packaging.
Color the back of the acetate with Copics to simulate water; I used BG01 & BG15.
Die cut the flowers and stems from various colored cardstock. Note - I added an extra stem.
Add the white vase layer to the card front, then the stem/leaf layer, then the acetate vase.
Assemble flowers & adhere them where desired atop the stem/leaf layer.
Foil sentiments and die cut, plus die cut a blank one. Use one, layered with the blank one, for the easel "stopper" - trim it to fit so it doesn't show when the easel is closed.  Add to card.

I tried to keep the liquid glue on the very edge of the acetate vase when adhering it to the white. Wasn't entirely successful at keeping it from showing but it's not too bad.... By the way, my "acetate" is really Spellbinders packaging. They have begun to tape their dies to what looks like a heavy weight vellum. I always put my dies on magnet strips that I glue to the package's cardstock insert. I was delighted when they stopped taping dies directly on the insert card! I've been carefully saving any bits of the Spellbinders vellum sheets that I can salvage. Sometimes it get too wrinkled while pulling the dies off and the taped area definitely gets discarded, but I can see many ways to upcycle it. 

The finished card fits perfectly in an A2 envelope when folded flat - so adorable! Here are a couple other views - closed & side:
 
 


Now for the bonus - this time I made a DIY rectangle pop up - so easy! 

Additional Supplies: Paper - Michael's ivory;
Tim Holtz Distress Cardstock 8x8; 
scraps of pink (unk brand)
My Favorite Things Petite Gingham
Dies - Poppystamps Layered Tulips
Embossing Folder - Taylored Expressions
Kaleidoscope (retired)
Other - Hero Arts Gold Hero Wax

I used the vase from the same set as card one but this time I embossed it for some gorgeous texture. You should've seen the pile of embossing folders I flipped through before settling on Kaleidoscope by TE. I just moved the die cut vase around the inside of the ef until I found the perfect spot in the pattern. After embossing it, I applied gold Hero Wax to the raised bits and inked around the vase edges with HA Cup O' Joe ink.

I used the stem/leaf die to cut the foliage & popped 3 tulips with their stems on top. The vase is popped up with tape just along the edges so I could slide the stems right into it.

Here's a photo of my easy DIY easel:


I simply cut an 8.5x11" piece of card stock in half. Scored one 4.25x11" piece at 5.5", then trimmed off the front. You can trim off as much as you like depending on how you want your easel to pop. Next cut a little diagonal piece off the left and right front edge & then score at .25" for a flap. Cut the remaining 4.25x11" piece in half so you have two 4.25x5.5" A2 panels. Glue one to your flap to create the card front. Use the other one to foil the sentiment block. After diecutting the various foiled sentiments, you will have some scraps left for later. Again, I stacked two sentiment die cuts, one foiled and one blank, for the easel stopper.

That's it, friends! Thanks for stopping and I hope you'll link your pop up creation in our August Diva Gallery! Since my vase got first play here, I'm adding my pop up to Darnell's August NBUS Challenge.



8 comments:

Dawn T said...

Fabulous cards Linda. Easel cards are always lots of fun to make.

HilaryJane said...

I love both these, they are really special. Those dies are pretty amazing. The first one is so colourful it is a delight and I love the embossed vase and the simplicity of the second. Thanks for the inspiration xx

Cindy C. said...

Both so pretty! Thanks for sharing the DIY idea!

Arlene said...

You did it again! Is it still baseball season... cause you hit a home run. LOL Great creativity on that second card and love the embossing on it. That first card is so bright and cheery - WOW.

Lisa Elton said...

These are both just as lovely as they can be! Great job with the pop up easel set, Linda!

papierelle said...

Such cards are always very beautiful, but I also know that they are very difficult to make. But it's worth it, your two cards prove it.

Rosemary said...

Beautiful cards, Linda. They are sure to bring a smile to whoever receives them!

Jean said...

Two gorgeous bouquets! That's quite a die set.