Welcome to my blog!

Thanks for visiting my blog. As the title suggests, I love to scrapbook, stamp, and sing! I will share cards and scrapbook pages I create, as well as information about my music - Barbershop harmony.

Sunday, August 27, 2023

Peeking Reindeer

Hi everyone - Happy Sunday! I had the chance to pick up some new Hero Arts Christmas products on Friday - yay!! Had to play with the darling peeking reindeer first:

Supplies: Paper - Basic Grey Infuse (retired); Anchor Paper kraft;
Paper Studio Holiday & Neutrals; Tim Holtz kraft metallic;
scrap of woodgrain & Lawn Fawn yellow watercolor
Dies - Hero Arts Paper Layering Wooden Door (retired but 
Lawn Fawn Winter Big Scripty Words
Hot Foil Plate - Lawn Fawn Big Scripty Words
Other - foam tape; Spellbinders foil;
Copics & Hero Arts Sand ink for shading;
Paper Studio & Hero Arts enamel dots; 
Tree House Studio Wiggle eyes; white gel pen;
Hero Arts Green Christmas Felt (retired) & clear lacquer

My favorite local paper crafting store didn't participate in Hero Arts' ShopBox program (early release) for the Christmas season. I was disappointed and the owner wished she would've participated after seeing the release. Luckily they now have a large stock so I picked items not in the class bundle for the 2023 Holiday Stamp-Along (yes, I'll be playing along in November! Go HERE for details) . The Blog Hop for this new release has some great inspiration and I was eager to see how my card idea compared with those in the hop. My fave was that of Nichol Spohr (see it HERE along with an excellent video) who'll be teaching once again in the Stamp-Along. I love how she used the large number dies & especially love her little pom-pom nose on Rudolph. Since I didn't have any pom-poms, I used a scrap of red paper to piece it and added clear lacquer. 

This deer comes as one die but is very easy to cut apart and piece. I decided to add the googly eyes and found some fun oval ones in my stash that went well with the curve of Rudolph's nose. I had never used my wooden door die set before & thought Rudolph would be cute peeking from a door. I considered making my door interactive but in the end just put foam tape on the right edge. Rudolph was also popped up. Funny thing - after I'd glued everything down, I went to see if I could link to the door die set anywhere. I found a photograph of a completed card and realized the decorative hinges were supposed to have the scrolly part on the door - oops! There's a little arrow beyond the scrolls but I'd cut that off to fit my card. 

This is an A6 card since an A2 looked too crowded. Wouldn't have if I'd put the hinges on correctly! The card base is intended to be the "house" & I put a little "step" under my door with some "snow". The step was diecut from a wagon set - I love it when you can use a die in an unintended way! Since my reindeer & door dies are newly used, I'll add this card to Darnell's August NBUS Challenge. I'll also add my card to the current Stay Crafty with a Blog Named Hero Challenge where Anything Goes.

Thanks for stopping by & hope you have a crafty day!!




8 comments:

Trina P. said...

Adorable! I’ve got my eye on the Peeking Snowman. ⛄️

Lisa Elton said...

Oh my gosh, how cute is this little fella! Sweet card, Linda. I sure wish I had a local stamping store. There used to be 4 or 5 within 1/2 an hour of me and there's all gone. Online shopping is okay, but sometimes you just need to browse a store in person!

Dawn T said...

what a simply gorgeous card Linda. Your little reindeer and his little scene are just adorable.

HilaryJane said...

What a fun little Christmas card. Thanks for explaining your process xx

Cat Craig said...

Amazing collection of cards (box & easel inter-actives) And this deer so cute. Great bunch to add to your stash. I am playing catch up after having been out of town. I’ve checked out all your lovely cards I missed and commenting just the current one. (It gets too overwhelming for me to catch up individually).

Jean said...

Super cute Christmas card that nicely showcases the products!

Rosemary said...

Cute little peeking Rudolph, Linda! He definitely makes for a fun Christmas card.

Michelle Peckham said...

Super cute! Thanks for playing along in the Stay Crafty Challenge with A Blog Named Hero.