Welcome to my blog!

Thanks for visiting my blog. As the title suggests, I love to scrapbook, stamp, and sing! I will share cards and scrapbook pages I create, as well as information about my music - Barbershop harmony.

Monday, May 16, 2022

Elf with Embossed Scrap Background

Happy Monday - it's a gorgeous day here today and my chorus looks forward to singing at Como Park tonight!! While preparing my MC lines I managed to squeeze in another card for Let's Squash It! where Challenge 20 requires both dry embossing and scraps. 

Supplies: Paper - various patterns mostly BoBunny,
some Tim Holtz, Doodlebug & American Crafts;
Paper Studio red A2 card
Embossing Folder - Stampin' Up Wintry 3D (pine bough)
Dies - Spellbinders Dancin' Gnome
Stamp & Cut - Hero Arts Santa's Elves
Other - Copic Markers; SSS sentiment strip;
Antique Linen Distress Ink

I've said it before but I do have many boxes of scraps. Here's a photo of the one I dove into for the scraps I used. When I die cut rectangle backgrounds, I end up with a bunch of approximately 2" strips that are perfect to cut down for the strip technique Jennifer McGuire has shown many times.


And here's a shoot of some scrap pieces from which I'd cut strips and the arranging I was doing on a white panel. You can see how I love to cut random things from patterned papers - butterflies, tags, you name it!


After I had an arrangement I liked, I glued the strips down and trimmed the panel to fit in a new Stampin' Up embossing folder (just came in the mail last week!). It's narrower than A2 size but should've been long enough. I trimmed a bit more than intended so had to leave a border, oh well. After embossing the panel with the pines, I inked the raised parts with some Distress Ink.

Next, I looked it my bits box for a large snowflake - instead I found an elf already stamped and die cut. Quickly colored her with Copics and then die cut her a wooden stump using a scrap of brown. Gave her a sign made using a strip of black and a Simon Says Stamp sentiment strip.

The stump die comes in a Spellbinders gnome set that's finally seeing first play so I have two NBUS on this card. I'll add this to Darnell's May NBUS Challenge where I'm guest designer.

Thanks for stopping by and happy crafting!!

 

10 comments:

Cat Craig said...

Great card Linda, making use of the technique really adds lovely points of interest in your card.

HilaryJane said...

Love it, such a good use of those scraps. You are good keeping them all. I get so cross with all the little bits that I end up throwing them out. I know I shouldn't, but sometimes I just need to reclaim some space! I am also glad that someone else measures things wrong too, I seem to be making a habit of it these days and because I am very nerdy about even borders, I end up wasting card. Your idea here is perfect and we wouldn't have known if you hadn't said. Hope the singing went well xx

Carol L said...

Isn't it amazing what we find in our snippet boxes? I use 12x12 plastic tubs for mine because there are so many! LOL Love these embossed strips creating a wonderful card with that cute little elf! Looks great!!

Rosemary said...

super cute holiday card, linda. my hat is off to you for saving all those scraps and then using them!

Jean said...

Great way to use up the scraps - very cool effect. Have a fun time tonight!

Lisa Elton said...

That little elf is too sweet! Cute card, Linda!

Dawn T said...

Love your scraps - great embossed background. I think it looks perfect with not all the card front with the panel. Lets the elf shine on his stump. Lovely card

papierelle said...

A great example of recycling leftovers!

Greta said...

Very cute!

Robyn Oliver said...

Super cool card Linda, your little elf looks great against that lovely pieced together PP embossed background, hugs Robyn