Welcome to my blog!

Thanks for visiting my blog. As the title suggests, I love to scrapbook, stamp, and sing! I will share cards and scrapbook pages I create, as well as information about my music - Barbershop harmony.

Sunday, August 11, 2019

Twofer Nautical

Hi all - the August Twofer Challenge was announced yesterday and I had time this morning to make a couple cards for it. Here's my Twofer:




I received an Ocean Journeys set as a gift from the lovely folks at Whimsy Stamps. Thanks again!! I hadn't had the chance to use it yet so decided to use the sailboat and waves from this set as my common nautical stamps. I stamped the sailboat image twice and colored & fussy cut both. I had an idea in my mind for a little ocean scene for card one and decided on a baby boy card for #2. Not that I need one right now, but my cousin hopes to start a family soon. May as well be ready! Here's a closer look at each:

Supplies: Paper - DCWV shimmer blue A2 card; Momenta watercolor (two shades); 
Neenah Classic Crest Solar White; scrap of unk blue patterned
Stamps - sailboat and waves from Ocean Journeys (retired) by Whimsy Stamps;
whale from Oceans of Joy (retired) by Hero Arts; bird from Let's Chill by Hero Arts; 
sentiment from Fancy Basics (retired) by Hero Arts
Dies - My Favorite Things stitched rectangle (retired Blueprints)
Inks - Hero Arts Navy; Salty Ocean Distress Oxide; Memento Tuxedo Black
Other - Distress & Copic Markers; googly eye; foam tape

I stamped the whale on a scrap of blue patterned paper - sorry can't remember whose. Fussy cut him, colored the flowers and added a large googly eye. Stamped, colored and cut the birdie; added him to one of my sailboats. Cut the blue watercolor paper into a stitched rectangle and part of a second rectangle in turquoise. Stamped the waves onto the turquoise piece and fussy cut, then added to the blue. Layered it all onto a blue card. Stamped the sentiment in the corner, popped the whale and boat into the waves. Done! Hope the tiny extra stitch line on the turquoise isn't too obvious. The paper comes scored at the top and I didn't realize I had cut into that part - oops! :(

Supplies: Paper - DCWV shimmer blue A2 card; Momenta blue watercolor
Neenah Classic Crest Solar White; Lawn Fawn Rainbow Plaid
Stamps - sailboat and waves and heart from Ocean Journeys (retired) by Whimsy Stamps
sentiment from CL854 Little One (retired) by Hero Arts
Dies - Hero Arts Wood Frame Infinity Dies; My Favorite Things Cloud 9 (retired)
Inks - Hero Arts Navy & Red Royal; Salty Ocean Distress Oxide; Memento Tuxedo Black
Other - Distress Markers; foam tape

I added a stamped heart to the second sailboat and decided to float it on an ocean piece within a frame. Added die cut clouds, one of which I stamped with part of the sentiment. I stamped welcome on another strip of watercolor paper and fussy cut it. Adhered it to the frame and layered the whole thing onto the plaid and card.

I really enjoyed the Twofer nautical theme. Thanks to Darnell and crew for a fun challenge and thanks to you for stopping by!!

13 comments:

Cornelia (fun stamping) said...

Awesome Twofer! Googly eyes make everything more fun! such a cute whale! And a perfect baby boy card - why do I never think of something like this for baby cards....?

Cat Craig said...

Linda, that googly eye on your whale is too darn fun. YOur lil bird must be on a whale watching sail...so cute. Your second card is a darling baby card so perfect for a lil boy. Thanks for playing along at Twofer Card Challenge.

Darnell said...

Your two different designs are so fresh and fun, Linda! How great that you got to use your NBUS gift set! I love that whole nautical scene on your first card with that hilarious pp whale with the huge googly eye and the equally hilarious little birdie with sunglasses! I swear if you put a dress where those bird legs are, it would look just like my Aunt Alzada! The big Hello is perfect to balance that giant whale! And then, aw, how sweet is that baby boy card?! I love the little blue boat, frame, and plaid pp and how you created your sky and sediment! Thank you so much for playing in Twofer Card Challenge #19! Hugs, Darnell

Dawn T said...

two beautiful cards Linda. Love the two different looks using the same stamp.

Betty said...

oh how cute, Linda - love that whale with the googly eyes!!

Brenda in IN said...

These are simply great cards! I laughed so much at that big whale saying hello. That is the cutest card and the baby boy card is adorable.

Greta said...

Totally different & both just wonderful, Linda! I really love the baby card--something I almost never need to make these days.

Rosemary said...

wonderful set of cards, linda! sailboats are so perfect for baby boy cards!

Chris Dring said...

You can never go wrong with a googly eyed flowery whale! Love both of your cards. That frame with the plaid paper on the second one looks great together!

Anita in France said...

What a charming, sweet scene on your first card, Linda ... that full-of-flowers, googly eyed giant whale is just adorable ... and so fun visiting with his sailing friend, little bird! The stitched die cut edging mimics the stitching on the sails brilliantly ... great detailing! Your baby card is a delight ... the plaid background complements your woodgrain framed sailboat wonderfully ... what a lovely touch to add that single heart on the sail! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Twofer! Anita :)

Heather said...

These are such adorable cards, Linda! Love both of the fun, detailed scenes you have created. The flowery whale with the googly eye is so fun and I didn't even notice the extra stitching. I'm sure if you're cousin does have a baby boy at some stage she will love your welcome baby boy card.

Kara Lynne said...

I love your whimsical scene with the flower patterned whale and his styling bird friend! It's just such a happy card! What a perfect baby boy card complete with wood grain and plaid! Two wonderful cards, Linda! Thanks for joining in the fun with us at the Twofer Card Challenge!

Leslie Miller said...

Hello, Linda! I'm sorry to be so late to see your Twofer. My husband and I have been away on a trip and we have finally stopped somewhere that has excellent WiFi. What a lot of catching up I have to do! I'm so in love with your nautical cards! The whale is the cutest ever with the floral paper piecing, and I adore your darling sailboat as a baby card. Thank you so much for playing along with us in our Nautical challenge!