Welcome to my blog!

Thanks for visiting my blog. As the title suggests, I love to scrapbook, stamp, and sing! I will share cards and scrapbook pages I create, as well as information about my music - Barbershop harmony.

Thursday, March 26, 2020

Hero Arts Stay Crafty Challenge

Hey everyone - just popping in belatedly for the inaugural Hero Arts Stay Crafty Challenge. I didn't read as far as the deadline but assumed it would be for a full week - oops!! Anyway, I totally feel for all the people suffering around the world from covid-19; hope it hasn't affected any of you! Hero Arts is based in California and I hope & pray they all stay safe and well out there!!

Anyway, the challenge I missed was to make an encouragement card. I made an elaborate card and then had to make a quickie card to get both in the outgoing mail. Several of my friends are nurses putting themselves in harm's way to help others. I wanted to cheer two of them on as they care for patients in these challenging days. I have all I can do to assist my aged parents right now so I'm not adding much to the world effort!

Supplies: Paper - DCWV pink A2 card; Lawn Fawn plaid;
Paper Studio ivory; various scraps
Sentiment - Hero Arts My Monthly Hero December 2019 kit
Dies - Hero Arts My Monthly Hero January 2020 (sold out) & 
My Favorite Things Blueprints (retired)

MMH JNE

I spent some time cleaning up my temporary studio at my parents' house. After making a bunch of cards last week, it looked like a tornado had hit! I gathered up a pile of paper scraps and was able to use a bunch of them to make the flowers on this card. I cut each twice, once for the stem and once for the flower which I trimmed off and glued atop the stem layer. It was well worth the time. I did the same for the butterfly but this time cut two butterflies so I could have some dimension with the wings.

I mailed this card to one of my dearest friends who went back to school at age 59 to get her RN degree. She had been an LPN briefly after high school before going to college & becoming a technical writer for a medical company. She missed caring for people and decided to go back for a second degree after all those years. I worry for her out in the world during this pandemic!! Next card is for another RN friend who works at a major Twin Cities hospital; she will be on the front lines as more cases develop in Minnesota. I worry about her too!!

Supplies: Paper - DCWV green A2 card; Lawn Fawn plaid; various scraps
Sentiment - Hero Arts My Monthly Hero December 2019 kit
Dies - Hero Arts My Monthly Hero January 2020 (sold out) butterfly & 

That's it for today! Hero Arts will announce a new challenge tomorrow on their blog. I thank them for all their kindness to me over the years (see sidebar - I was a Hero Hostess) and wish them the best during this horrific time. Thanks for stopping and stay safe!!

5 comments:

Betty said...

both of your friends will love these gorgeous cards, Linda - take care

Rosemary said...

beautiful set of cards, linda! I know they will brighten up your friends' day! stay safe, friend!

Greta said...

What a great sentiment for your nurse friends & both are really lovely cards, Linda! Grateful I'm retired & just hope people will do the right thing to slow the virus spread--regardless of what leaders say. Wishing you & your folks good health!

Dawn T said...

two beautiful cards Linda. Good on your friend for furthering her education... and big hugs to all the nurses and doctors. Here is NZ we only have 450 odd cases and only 12 i hospital - 2 in ICU the others not so bad. We have been in lockdown since mid night Wed night... I've been working at home since Monday. But now only can leave home for essential travel - to get food or go to the doctors/pharmacy. Hopefully after 4 weeks we will be able to get out again. Take care my friend, and happy crafting.

Jean said...

Fantastic encouragement cards!