Welcome to my blog!

Thanks for visiting my blog. As the title suggests, I love to scrapbook, stamp, and sing! I will share cards and scrapbook pages I create, as well as information about my music - Barbershop harmony.

Friday, April 21, 2023

Watercoloring with Altenew

Hey everyone - welcome! I'm providing inspiration over at Die Cut Divas today for our Water Color Challenge with the amazing Altenew as our sponsor. I took their collaboration class with Spellbinders back in February, adding new techniques and products from both brands. One of my new purchases was Altenew's beautiful Golden Days Stamp Die Stencil Hot Foil Bundle.

Supplies: Paper - Bazzill A2 card; Tim Holtz Jewel kraft metallic;
Strathmore watercolor paper
Hot Foil Plate - Altenew Golden Days
Dies - Altenew Mix and Match Frames
Stamps - Altenew Floral Sprig
Other - Spellbinders Hot Foil Roll - Pewter
various Hero Arts Reactive and Tim Holtz Distress Inks; 
water spritzer & Hero Arts Iridescent shimmer spray

 

Process: Hot foil the Golden Days flower onto the smoother side of a 6x8" piece of watercolor paper using pewter foil and a hot foiling system (I used Spellbinders Glimmer).

Stencil the flower using the coordinating stencil set & water reactive inks. Move the ink with water & brushes. Spritz lightly with shimmer spray through the base flower stencil. Let dry thoroughly.

Die cut into two pieces using the Mix and Match Frames deckle die (save one piece for bonus project). Layer onto metallic panel die cut with the dotted frame die. Add to A2 card.

Stamp the thank you sentiment from the Floral Sprig set. Add a few dots from the die cut frame.

Now for a bonus using the other half of the flower panel. Hard to see but I added a clear enamel water droplet in the lower right of the flower. The sentiment is from the same Floral Sprig set. I sent this card to dear Lin (Sending Hugs) for her birthday.


Ready for a threefer?


My first attempt at foiling the Golden Days flower (used gold foil) ended up with loads of over-foiling because I used an unnecessary shim. I set the panel aside and tried a new panel which I used on cards one and two. Then I went back to my first panel - could I save it? I simply trimmed the flower smaller so I didn't have much over-foil to erase. Next I watercolored it freely & let dry, then I used the fourth stencil to add more dark red (in this case Lumberjack Plaid DI) & moved it a bit with water. Finally, spritzed heavily with Iridescent spray. Oh, and I took a damp cloth and went over the center foil that had kinda muted with the watercoloring. Die cut gold metallic cardstock using the 3rd die in the Mixed Frame set, leaving all the bits in (they were anchored well into this heavy cardstock). Added to an A2 card along with the flower popped up with foam tape. Had a tiny white flaw on the card base so covered it up with a gold gel pen & continued dotting! Finally adhered some stamped/embossed/die cut leaves (also from the Golden Days bundle) that I'd watercolored. Could've used more, I think, but I was lazy.... Done!

I'll add card three to Darnell's April NBUS Challenge since the Golden Days plate technically got first play there.

Thanks for stopping and I hope you check out the April Diva Challenge! Happy crafting!



10 comments:

papierelle said...

The blossom is impressive and you have used it beautifully in a variety of ways and colored it beautifully!!

Cindy C. said...

All so beautiful!!

Cat Craig said...

Lovely cards, Linda. I do love a big bloom card.

Lisa Elton said...

That big bloom is wonderful and your cards are just lovely!

Arlene said...

I think you outdid yourself - THREE??? LOL Really just beautiful.

Jean said...

Three terrific designs with that bloom!

Dawn T said...

OMG Linda... you've outdone yourself here. What gorgeous cards. It's a stunning hot foil stamp. Love the way you did your watercolouring. Looks amazing.

Rosemary said...

very pretty set of cards, linda!

Pia S said...

So one flower was enough for two cards? I like the idea of that, I never seem to make enough cards - or make them quickly enough:) It's a stunning rose, beautifully shaded, perfect for so many occasions.

CinnamonSally said...

Wow such pretty cards Linda.