Welcome to my blog!

Thanks for visiting my blog. As the title suggests, I love to scrapbook, stamp, and sing! I will share cards and scrapbook pages I create, as well as information about my music - Barbershop harmony.

Monday, June 11, 2018

Merry Monday #294 - Barns

Hey all - we're heading to the countryside for Leanne's challenge at Merry Monday! For Challenge #294 she wants a barn on our Christmas card.


I had absolutely nothing in my stash with a barn, not even a scrap of patterned paper, nor Silhouette design. Great excuse to shop, right?! I started looking locally and found some kid style farm stickers which I bought - just in case... My Silhouette software needs updating & I can't get into the online store right now - no luck there. So off I went to shop online. Coincidentally, The Scrapping Cottage had a 50% off sale - oh my! I bought two different barn dies and a stamp & cut farm set - all adorable. Rather an unusual barn, but I started with the Reindeer Barn - Santa needs a grand residence for Rudolph, right? Just love this one!!

Supplies: Paper - Neenah Classic Crest Solar White; Bazzill brown; 
Lawn Fawn Let's Bokeh in the Snow
Dies - Lawn Fawn Stitched Hillside Borders
The Scrapping Cottage Reindeer Barn Cottage Cutz
Stamps - Hero Arts October 2017 My Monthly Hero (sentiment) & DI038 Christmas Tree Set (retired)
Impression Obsession Cover-a-Card Wooden Plank
Other - Joy Ultra-thin foam tape; Copic Markers; Paper Studio gemstones;
Tea Dye Distress Ink & Fired Brick Distress Oxide Ink; Distress Markers

This little scene was a lot of work but so much fun! I started by die cutting the entire barn set in white. Then I colored all the non-white pieces with Copic Markers and assembled the barn. I placed it in snowbank layers and added a stamped tree behind - I colored the stamp with Distress Markers to stamp it. Here's a side view:


Popped some elements with ultra-thin foam tape & maybe you can see the dimension a bit better in this view. I really love the thin foam but it can be very hard to handle since it's so teeny! Couldn't resist sharing a couple of photos taken during my process:

 


Please tell me I'm not the only one who crafts in every odd spot possible! In the top photo I'm on the kitchen counter with some of my pieces, the die, and the packaging - all atop a magazine and some outgoing mail. Then I'm on the stove top (no, it wasn't hot - LOL) coloring the pieces while sipping a coffee! The counter on the other side of the stove was piled with stamp sets I've recently used so I couldn't color there - sigh... We won't talk about the counters on the other side of the kitchen or the kitchen table, also full of stuff. Really should clean up so we can eat in there!

If you're still with me, I have a two-fer! I was talking to my friend Heather who called me all the way from Ireland yesterday! Just love chatting with her and 90 minutes went quickly - thanks for the call, Heather!! Afterward I had a small window before I went to sing (with a bunch from chorus) for one of our housebound members (it went great). Spotted a barn I had die cut from another Scrapping Cottage item I bought with the Reindeer Barn. I had an idea to cut out these cute little pigs from a piece of patterned paper but do you think I could find it?! Well, I spotted an extra Silhouette cut from THIS CARD and decided to use part of the cow. I also had a bit of snowflake paper left from last week's Merry Monday angel card. The card came together quickly!

Supplies: Paper - DCWV neutral A2 card; Poptone Black Licorice;
Neenah Classic Crest Solar White; BoBunny Snowfall
Silhouette digi cut - Design ID 207545 Welcome to the Farm
Dies - The Scrapping Cottage Barn Cottage Cutz;
My Favorite Things Blueprints 20 (retired)
Stamps - Hero Arts Holiday Sayings (retired) & Kelly's Outline Letters
Other - foam tape; Jolee's Santa Hat Repeats; Candied Apple Distress Marker

What do you think of the puny sentiment? I showed the photo to a chorus friend and she thought it said moody - oops, maybe I should have put a dash instead of the third O....  ha, ha. Anyway, I'll try to share some more barn cards now that I'm well supplied with barn stuff! Meanwhile, be sure to check out all the challenge details and amazing Design Team cards HERE. Thanks for stopping!!




15 comments:

Betty said...

a barn would be a real challenge for me too but you pulled it off brilliantly - really like the second silhouette card and think the "moooy" was very clever!

Cindy C. said...

Both so cute!! I especially love the fun sentiment on the second one.
Using Barn as theme, this is going to be a CHALLENGE for me!! LOL
Oh btw you're not the only who craft in 'odd' places. I bring my crafting stuff everywhere in the house even in the laundry room!! :D

Jean said...

These are both fabulous! What a fun theme! (Might not be participating but I'll file it away as a theme for a future card.)

Bonnie said...

I love both your barns, Linda! Rudolph's barn looks very Christmasy colored in green! And your black barn and cow is so fun! Love the sentiment!

Greta said...

You come up with the best cards for MM! Love both of these great cards, Linda! The first scene is adorable & I love your fun Moooy card!

stampingandstitching said...

Oh what absolutely adorable cards, Linda! Your reindeer barn scene is soooo cute and packed full of wonderful detail - I'm still taking it all in! Lol I think the puny sentiment on the second card is funny as is the cow with the Santa hat. Another gorgeous barn too and the bg paper is perfect for the lovely snow filled sky.

Yes I craft in all sorts of odd spots too, inside and outside the house:) Good for you for squeezing in some crafting time before heading out on Sunday. It was great catching up with you:) :)

Dawn T said...

Two great cards Linda.

JoAnn said...

Wow, both cards look fabulous Linda. I love the cute reindeer barn and the greeting. The cow with the Santa hat is cute and that barn looks great. Have a wonderful week.

Rosemary said...

Rudolph's barn is just too darn cute and love that fun, puny sentiment on the second! Fabulous set of cards, Linda!

CinnamonSally said...

Two fabulous christmas cards Linda, love the sentiment on the last such fun!!

Marcia Hill said...

WOW...you really got into the barn challenge Linda and I'm loving both of your cards! All the detail in your Rudolph card is amazing...can definitely tell you put a lot of love into it! And your 2nd card is just as cute and I LOVE the sentiment! Well done my friend! Hope you're having a great week!! :0)

Leanne said...

So awesome, love it the paper and the bright colors, way to go, and the reindeer even better. The silhouette barn is perfect, love the cow's hat. Adorable! Hugs, L:)

Linda said...

Two awesome cards, Linda. Great designs. Hope you are having a great week.

Notes by Nina said...

Both cards are fabulous Linda, I like all the details in the first card but I love the fun cow card too.

Karen L K said...

Ah nice cards and fun stories mixed in! The first barn card is such a great colorful scene. The second is so cute with the cow. My sister would love the cow one.