Welcome to my blog!

Thanks for visiting my blog. As the title suggests, I love to scrapbook, stamp, and sing! I will share cards and scrapbook pages I create, as well as information about my music - Barbershop harmony.

Sunday, February 9, 2020

Red poinsettia

Hey everyone - hope you had a great weekend! We got a pile of snow and are waiting to get plowed out. Perfect day for staying inside to craft!! I'm playing along at Christmas Kickstart Challenge #28 to use the color RED.

Challenge #28 - Red

I went right away to my Hero Arts poinsettia die from last year. While I made a bunch of cards with it for Christmas 2019, I have oodles more people who would love one in 2020. Here's my card:

Supplies: Paper - DCWV Ms Sparkle green A2 card;
Authentique Colorful Christmas (patterned paper);
Paper Studio Holiday & glitter cardstocks;
Neenah Classic Crest Solar White
Stamp - Hero Arts CL343 Holiday Sayings (retired)
Dies - Hero Arts DI656 Paper Layering Poinsettia;
Taylored Expressions Simple Strips
Ink - Pine Needles Distress Oxide

Another true confession of a crafty cover up - I had planned to use a plain green card but had to add the patterned paper at the bottom because the card front had a flaw. Didn't notice til the entire top section was glued down so that was my save. I'm fine with it, even like it. I was going a bit off the sketch we could use at the February Card Chain Challenge but oriented horizontally.


The poinsettia has 3 petal layers and a center and a leaf. I love the rich red from the Paper Studio Holiday cardstock pack and cut the 3 flower layers twice each. I curled the poinsettia petals a bit, rolling them gently around a pen. The darkened look to the petals in the photo are just shadows; I didn't add any ink or pen to them. Decided to cut the center piece from the glitter cardstock to match the strips. I didn't get the Taylored Expressions holiday strip stamps but I have plenty of other brands with narrow sentiments. I stamped one from an old fave from Hero Arts. Done!!

Well, I'd better do some practicing on chorus music. We have to audition on one of our new songs tomorrow night - hope I'm ready!! Thanks for stopping and thanks to Jo for another fun challenge!

7 comments:

Dotty Jo said...

Hi Linda, love your card! I never thought about poinsettias - you are clever! Thanks for playing at Christmas Kickstart again, Jo x

Cat Craig said...

Oh that is a lovely poinsettia, and I love your fix.

Cindy C. said...

Beautiful poinsettia!! And it's so festive with gold stripes and the colorful pattern paper!

Rosemary said...

love that gorgeous poinsettia, linda! beautiful card!

Jean said...

Wonderful combination of elements! Great take on the sketch, too.

Dawn T said...

Gorgeous Linda. I had in mind to do a red poinsettia as well. This one is stunning.

Greta said...

Beautiful card! Thanks to you I got that poinsettia die!