Welcome to my blog!

Thanks for visiting my blog. As the title suggests, I love to scrapbook, stamp, and sing! I will share cards and scrapbook pages I create, as well as information about my music - Barbershop harmony.

Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Twofer hearts

Hi all - I'm playing along with two challenges today: Twofer and Watercooler Wednesday. I love the Twofer Challenge, celebrating its two year anniversary, and have been participating most months since it began in January 2018!! I've not done the Watercolor Wednesday one before but my friend Dawn is on the DT so thought I'd give it a go!!  Twofer Card Challenge #23 asks for two cards for two separate occasions using a common element (Hearts this time) plus two different designs. Watercooler Wednesday Challenge #254 (wow!) looks for an occasions card.


 

First, here's my Twofer:


With a Valentine birthday, I love everything hearts!! Was very excited I could play in the Twofer this month! Naturally I have a ton of heart stuff but I decided on a Penny Black heart die set for my common element. I have a shamrock die that has heart-shaped leaves and I was sure I could work a PB heart into it - yes, it worked great!! I used the solid die and the flourish overlay on both cards - in greens on my shamrock and in pink/red middle row right on my Valentine.

Here's a closer look with supply list; I could only link one to the WC challenge since it doesn't accept duplicate blog addresses:

Supplies: Paper - Lawn Fawn card and Spring Plaid; Paper Studio Green & glitter
Neenah Classic Crest Solar White
Dies - Penny Black All My Hearts & Gift Card Pocket (tag); 
Impression Obsession Fancy Shamrock;
Stamps - Avery Elle Seasonal Simple Sentiments
Taylored Expressions Many Minis - Holiday (retired)
Other - Pine Needles Distress Oxide ink; DCWV gems; foam tape

I started by die cutting the shamrock, three green hearts and three glitter green flourish hearts. I also cut the stem of the shamrock from the same green and glitter green as the hearts to layer. I glued the glitter hearts onto the green hearts and then onto the shamrock. Finished it off with a large gem and a little tag. I decided to add the shamrock to layered circles, then to the card base, finishing it off with a sentiment strip across the card. I just love the Lawn Fawn dotted 4-bar (3.5 x 4 7/8") cards. Bummer - I don't see the green ones for sale at Lawn Fawn but they still have a gray color named Hippo.

Supplies: Paper - DCWV A2 card; BoBunny Believe; 
Momenta Watercolor
Paper Studio red, vellum & glitter; Neenah Creative Collection colors
Dies - Penny Black All My Hearts;
Memory Box free gift in Die Cutting Essentials magazine
My Favorite Things Blueprints (retired)  
Stamp - Taylored Expressions Many Minis - Holiday (retired)
Other - Paper Studio gems; foam tape; Memento Tuxedo Black ink

Right before Christmas I bought a bunch of UK magazines with free gifts - you know the ones I mean; I see them all the time in craft stores and at Barnes & Noble. Ended it with four of them including the Die Cutting Essentials one with a wonderful Memory Box article and a free die set (ornament and frames). I had cut the entire set out of a couple papers just to try it & had a purple frame handy. Thought it went great with the heart paper by BoBunny and my card grew from there. The interior of the frame was the perfect size for all the hearts in the Penny Black set, including the flourish one. Vellum softened the patterned paper so the hearts stood out better. I decided to pop the hearts onto circles in colors matching the paper. Really like how it turned out!!

That's it for today but I'll be back tomorrow with a card for the current CAS Christmas challenge. Thanks for stopping & I wish you a crafty day!!




















13 comments:

Jean said...

Just terrific! Lots of nice details here with colors, sparkle, ... Can't believe we're already half way through January and looking towards St Patty's Day!

Betty said...

two holidays for one - great idea on using the heart for a shamrock!!

Happy Dance said...

Having just firmly traced the Irish ancestors I knew were there (but couldn't find for the longest time!), I'm enamored of your sweet shamrock card! The plaid, the polka dots, the bling...darling card! And I have to say that your Valentine's Day card reminds me of a box of chocolate candies! All those different hearts look fabulous inside the "box!!" Love it. Thanks for joining us at the Twofer Challenge! Bev

Lucille K said...

Hi Linda, love your twofer takes, using the hearts for a shamrock is a wonderful idea. So glad you commented on my blog and so happy I found you again. I will now visit your blog regularly, we've both come a long way with our cards, love your blog posts. Lucille K :)

Anita in France said...

What a fabulous way to dress up your Saint Patrick's Day shamrock, Linda ... the shimmery hearts add such wonderful texture and dimension! Your Saint Valentine's Day design is a delight ... and such fun ... puts me in mind of little sweets from way back called 'love hearts' ... though yours are infinitely more delicious here against the vellum'd background and with all that glimmery sparkle! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Twofer! Anita :)

Jane Willis said...

What stunning cards, and an absolute stroke of luck (or good planning) that your shamrock die was exactly the right size to layer under those beautiful sparkly hearts.
Jane
Guest Designer at Twofer Card Challenge

Carol L said...

Your clever twofer rocked this challenge! I love the shamrock with the pretty glittered hearts that fit perfectly inside, and the little tag is such a gem! Love the valentine too with all those cute hearts! You have 2 great cards for both upcoming special days, good job!

Cat Craig said...

Colorful, cheery and definitely two distinct designs for your twofers, Linda. I am loving that glittery shamrock made decorated with those scrolled hearts and your sixpack of hearts in the box are sweet and perfect for Valentines.Thanks for playing along at Twofer.

Dawn T said...

Fabulous cards Linda. How clever to make your lucky clover with the hearts.

Greta said...

Very creative use of the beautiful heart for your St Pat's card & sweet Valentine!

Helen said...

2 great cards, Linda! I love all the details on your second heart card making it super fun and special! Thanks so much for joining us at Watercooler Wednesday Challenge this week!

Darnell said...

You know I love how talented you are when it comes to creating with pp, Linda, and these two designs are a perfect and colorful example of that! Clever you to place your heart inside the leaves of the shamrock! All the elements in shades of green make a beautiful St. Pat's Day card design! And your Valentine sampler is so sweet! It was fun reading how you built the card from the bottom up to bring out all the colors of that fab heart pp!! Thank you so much for playing in the Twofer 2nd Blogaversary Card Challenge! Hugs, Darnell

Heidi Weaver said...

Oh, I'm sure you have a wealth of hearts at your disposal since you have a Valentine birthday, Linda. I love the way you've used these little hearts to create not only a Valentine but also a St. Patrick's Day card. How clever! Love the colours and designs. Thanks so much for joining our Watercooler Wednesday Challenge this week.