Welcome to my blog!

Thanks for visiting my blog. As the title suggests, I love to scrapbook, stamp, and sing! I will share cards and scrapbook pages I create, as well as information about my music - Barbershop harmony.

Friday, July 15, 2016

A More Elaborate Christmas CAS

Hi all - I'm back with another card for Heather's challenge to me this week to make a CAS Christmas card. I went to visit my parents this week and, on the way, stopped at CF Stamps. They carry tons of dies and I always find something there! This time, I picked up a couple of dies and a cling stamp (you're sure to see this stamp on an upcoming challenge to Heather...). I started playing with one of the dies - Penny Black's Dancing Leaves. The "berries" on it matched so well with the PB Whirl Wreath I used earlier this week, I decided to make a wreath card using both dies. Here's the card:

Joy Wreath


Supplies: Paper - Neenah Solar White; Reflections (Michaels) green, Anchor Paper vellum, the Paper Studio glitter paper. Other: Reflections clear gems
Dies - Penny Black Whirl Wreath & Dancing Leaves
Stamps - Hero Arts CL474 Special Wishes (wreath) CL644 Bring on the Merry (sentiment)
Ink - Time Holtz Distress Ink: Fired Brick & Pine Needles

I cut two Whirl Wreaths and glued them together rotating the second one so they weren't lined up. The bottom one was card stock sponged with a bit of Pine Needles Distress ink. The second one was cut from green vellum. I cut the Dancing Leaves twice from a darker green card and snipped them apart to fit it into the Whirl Wreath. While I was digging though my stamps for a JOY stamp to put in the wreath's center, I found a 2010 Hero Arts Christmas wreath stamp (retired) that I thought would be perfect under the die cut wreath. Here's a photo of the original version with the more elaborate one alongside:

Wreath duo


Still a lot of white space so I think it qualifies as clean and simple? Anyway, let me know which card you like better. Obviously the original was easier and perfect for mass production, but the second was fun to layer.

Thanks for stopping and hope you're having a crafty weekend! If you stop back on Monday, I'll have another Christmas challenge for Heather.


7 comments:

Virginia L. said...

Wow, you took this PB die to town!! I absolutely love both of your versions, Linda! You know how to work the magic! :)

stampingandstitching said...

Wow Linda, well done on making two cards for the challenge!! Love the way you combined the stamp and dies to create a really full and dimensional wreath - fab! The sparkle from the bow and gems is so pretty too! It's impossible to pick a favourite - love both of your gorgeous cards:) Looking forward our next challenge and seeing the new cling stamp you picked up at CF Stamps:)

Betty said...

another fantastic card Linda - hard to decide which one i like better!

Jean said...

These are both fabulous! Very festive!

LaVon Hall said...

Both are just beautiful... but I am drawn to all the texture of the second version!

Greta said...

Oh wow--fantastic card, Linda! I love the simpler one, too, but the new one is so striking!

Karen L K said...

Both of your cards are nice! It would be hard to choose a favorite.