Welcome to my blog!

Thanks for visiting my blog. As the title suggests, I love to scrapbook, stamp, and sing! I will share cards and scrapbook pages I create, as well as information about my music - Barbershop harmony.

Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Candy canes!

I love a good candy cane around the holidays but even better - Lindt peppermint flavored chocolate truffles - yum!! I went to the Mall of America on Sunday and bought a big bag of their Lindor balls. This week Merry Monday brings a challenge from Linda to include a candy cane on your Christmas card - I started right away Monday morning on my card but got a bit sidetracked and didn't finish until today - more on that later...

Photo Credit

Last year Kristie, a former Merry Monday Design Team member, enabled me to buy some Whimsy Stamps. One of the cling images I ordered was this darling penguin quartet - yay, the sign they're holding is lettered with candy canes - perfect! Here's my card:

Candy Cane Joy
Supplies: Paper - Neenah Solar White, American Crafts Christmas from Target Hot Spot
Stamp - Whimsy Stamp's Penguin Joy; Die - My Favorite Things Blueprints 20 (stitched rectangle)
Other - Copic Markers, Hickory Smoke Distress Marker, foam tape; Ink - Ranger Archival "Watering Can"

Below is a card I made while being sidetracked from Merry Monday. I was looking through my overwhelming stash of stuff for something for my sister. Instead I found a little decorated Christmas box containing a bunch of dies and an old Sizzix metal emboss & cut folder. I didn't remember owning this item and don't think I had ever used until now! No surprise... I included the folder in the photo - it's black metal on the outside and silver on the inside - such a fun item and I'm sure they don't make them anymore! Do any of you have one? I couldn't resist making a card with it. After embossing, I ran an ink cube over the raised paper - black on the deer and silver on the frame. A bunch of us from chorus were heading to sing at a couple senior living centers; one is where a long-time member Jean lives. So I took this card to give to her. She arranged a holiday song we sing "Straw Carol". We had a great time singing and Jean loved hearing her arrangement!

Embossed deer

I'm doing well on my goal of writing out 5 Christmas cards per day for mailing. Will be done soon - yay - but like Bonnie points out, there's nothing wrong with getting some cards made for next year! Thanks for stopping by and have a crafty week!!

14 comments:

Karen L K said...

Live your cards! The penquins & candy canes are so cute! The deer card very nice! I may have a small embossing folder similar to that type.

Virginia L. said...

Oh... this first cards shouts HAPPINESS! Love your coloring and layers! The end card is so shabby chic and gorgeous! Well done, Linda!

Betty said...

your little penguins and candy cane sentiment = darling! you music/deer card = gorgeous!

Marcia Hill said...

Oh Linda...your candy cane card is absolutely adorable! I love the image you used and it is colored just beautifully! Thanks so much for sharing with us this week at Merry Monday! :0)

Bonnie said...

Two wonderful cards, Linda! I love the sweet penguins sharing the joy! And that reindeer is fantastic. I've never seen anything like that folder but certainly love the results! How nice you could share it with an old friend! Keep plugging at those Christmas cards. I got mine mailed today. What a relief!

Greta said...

I'm having a terrible time actually getting my cards signed & mailed--gotta figure out a better system for next year, that's for sure. I love both your cards, Linda--adorable penguins with the perfect background layers & the embossed deer card is gorgeous!

Jean said...

Both of these are terrific! I know I'm going to have a hard time saying "good bye" to Christmas card making because it's one of my favorite seasons for which to make cards. Bests wishes getting your cards ready for mailing!

Notes by Nina said...

Both cards are wonderful Linda. I love your adorable penguin card, thank you for playing along with Merry Monday.

CinnamonSally said...

Love both your cards Linda, such a cute row of penguins!!

Cat Craig said...

Love both cards! Mine are in the mail, but its never to early to start on next years batch. I have a fantasy that I make 4-5 cards each month for each of the major holidays...if I could accomplish that this year...my fall and winter next year would be a breeze!

Linda said...

That little penguin image with the candy canes Joy and colored beautifully. Thanks for always joining us at Merry Monday.

Donna Schnees said...

Love your penguins! They look like they are having fun:) TFS!

Lori Turner said...

Awwww those penguins are adorable! Thanks so much for joining us at Merry Monday xoxoxo

Em Louise Fairley said...

These are both so fun.
Hugs,
Em