Welcome to my blog!

Thanks for visiting my blog. As the title suggests, I love to scrapbook, stamp, and sing! I will share cards and scrapbook pages I create, as well as information about my music - Barbershop harmony.

Sunday, January 19, 2020

Using January My Monthly Hero for CAS(E) this Sketch #355

I was inspired by my friend Lin's (Sending Hugs) post here to break out my January My Monthly Hero Kit from Hero Arts. Unfortunately it's sold out but maybe they'll bring some of the elements into the store in future. Here's what the kit contained:
So much crafty goodness! Lin did amazing work with the flower dies so I didn't want to go that route to start. Instead I picked up some of the stamps and a butterfly die to create another card for CAS(E) this Sketch #355 (using a retro sketch #171).


My first card uses a kraft card I had laying around:

Supplies: Paper - Paper Studio kraft A2 card;
Authentique Pleasant Collection 6x6
Stamps - Hero Arts January 2020 My Monthly Hero kit (plus butterfly die);
Your Next Stamp Mini Flower Ink Splatter
Ink - Memento Desert Sand & Rose Bud
Distress Oxide inks - Ground Espresso & Vintage Photo

I decided to use the text stamp from the kit as my rectangle element. It lightened as it dried so I added some distress oxide ink along the edges for some definition. Added the bitty flower splatter in a rose ink for some color and chose to cut the butterfly from patterned paper. I had cut one from yellow and shaded with Copics - hated it, literally, and pitched it! The pp had some browns and a bit of rose so I liked how it looked. Note the speckling on the card is part of the texture; it lightened at the top in the photo due to a light I had in that corner.... The kraft was ok but I thought white would be better. I had a little more crafty time left so decided to use the sketch for a Valentine on a white card. Here's that one:

Supplies: Paper - Neenah Classic Crest Solar White 110 lb); 
Momenta Watercolor (pink); Paper Studio glitter
Stamps - Hero Arts January 2020 My Monthly Hero kit;
Your Next Stamp Mini Heart Ink Splatter
Dies - Penny Black All My Hearts
Inks - Memento Rose Bud & Rhubarb Stalk;
Distress Oxide Spun Sugar

I still had the heart dies out that I used on my Twofer cards so decided to use that instead of the butterfly on card one. I found another splatter stamp - my fave with the little hearts! Love it so much I stamped the entire thing for the top splatter element, plus it covered up a little brown mark I got on my paper and hid with a dab of white paint! Gotta be clever with those cover-ups!!

Anyway, I got a start on my Valentines and already began another using the January MMH kit - yay! Thanks for stopping and have a wonderful day!!

9 comments:

Lin said...

Love what you did with the stamps in the kit, Linda! The added splatters are fun, too!

Betty said...

love both of these, Linda - best I get my kit out and catch up with you and Lin!

Greta said...

That kit was tempting & I wasn't surprised it sold out fast! Love your cards, Linda! Great idea to cut the butterfly from that beautiful paper!

I Card Everyone said...

Splattered hearts!!?? Oh I love that … but this gorgeous flutter-by has my heart today, Linda... what a perfect specimen he is!
Thanks, times two, for playing cards with CTS!
=]

Cindy C. said...

Both so lovely!! I don't know how I've missed seeing them earlier!!

Dawn T said...

Two gorgeous cards and great use of the sketch challenge as well. I was interested in the kit but sadly sold out.

Rosemary said...

wonderful set of cards, linda! you are so lucky you got that kit!

Trina P. said...

I took too long to decide and missed out on the kit, too. Both cards are so lovely.

Jean said...

Terrific combination of elements on both cards!