Welcome to my blog!

Thanks for visiting my blog. As the title suggests, I love to scrapbook, stamp, and sing! I will share cards and scrapbook pages I create, as well as information about my music - Barbershop harmony.

Friday, January 3, 2020

Penguin Parade

Happy New Year everyone!! Unlike many of my friends, I don't do a year-in-review post but it's a great way to look back at all our hard work throughout the year. If you haven't already visited them, check out the following friends: Lin, Betty, & Cat - each has a wonderful review of gorgeous cards!!

No rest for us crafters though - gotta get busy on the Christmas stash for this year! Thankfully Christmas Kickstart has a new challenge, already into its second week, to use penguins.

Challenge #27 - Penguin Parade

I spent New Year's Day and part of yesterday putting away Christmas decorations at my parents' house. So today was all about crafting!! I'll list the official set in the supply list but my penguins, musical notes and sentiment actually came from Lawn Fawn's 2017 Fall/Winter Demo set. It has a mixed bunch of clear stamps used for classes at an LSS in my hometown - so fun. I have many other penguins but that one popped out first as I was digging through my stamp sets. I colored them with Copics, recovering from a near disastrous leak of C3 on my left penguin!! Sorry for the dark photo - it's a very gloomy day in MN!

Supplies: Paper - Neenah Classic Crest Solar White; Paper Studio Black;
Lawn Fawn Let's Bokeh in the Snow
Stamps - Lawn Fawn Here We Go A-waddling; Hero Arts Merriest Christmas Wishes (retired)
Dies - My Favorite Things Blueprints 13 (stitched rectangle - retired)
Hero Arts Ribbon Messages Stamp & Cut (banners)
Other - Copic Markers; Tumbled Glass and Weathered Wood Distress Oxide inks; 
Memento Tuxedo Black ink; foam tape

I started out making the background using a 2011 Hero Arts cling stamp and Distress Oxide Inks on Neenah white paper. It left the trees and birdie white; I colored the birdie with Copics and also added some shading. Stamped, colored and fussy cut the penguin trio and then figured how I'd arrange them before stamping the musical notes. After cutting the banner, I realized it curved the wrong way from the curvy sentiment. I simply ran the diecut back through the machine upside down to flatten it - worked perfectly!

That's it for today - thanks to Jo for a fun challenge! Christmas Kickstart will be monthly for awhile but you can enter more than once so I'll probably do that. CAS Christmas announced a new challenge today so I hope to make something soon. Thanks for stopping!!

12 comments:

Cat Craig said...

Aw thanks for the shout out Linda. I am loving those cute penguins and that punny sentiment has me over the moon. Love love love.

Rosemary said...

your super cute card made me chuckle, linda! those penguins are adorable!

Betty said...

how cute - and I think I might have a few penguins left from those you sent me a few years ago - you know me and penguins:-)

Lin said...

I love that you used that old HA stamp as a backing for these darling little guys, Linda, and the punny sentiment could NOT be more perfect! Love this!

Dawn T said...

Happy New Year Linda. Love this cute as Christmas card. I really love the combinations of the older stamps and those sweet penguins. Must do a card for this challenge.

Jules said...

Hi Linda

Great card for Jo’s Challenge - your penguins are so cute and you have created such a lovely little scene with them.

I put all my Mum’s decorations away on Monday (she had had enough of them by then) but mine will be reluctantly put away today. I wish Christmas lasted as long as the preparation seems too LOL!!

Hope your Christmas was good and all the best for the new year.

Love Jules xx

ionabunny said...

Love the bokeh and the birch trees backgrounds. Gorgeous group of penguins. Thanks for joining the fun at the Christmas Kickstart challenge. Hugz

Cindy C. said...

Awe this is so sweet and cute!!

Dotty Jo said...

What a delightful card, Linda! You put so much work into all the different elements and it really shows. So glad you've joined Gail and I at the first pre-Christmas 2020 challenge from CKC, Jo x

Jean said...

Absolutely adorable!

Greta said...

Super duper cute!

Babs said...

What a gorgeous little scene you have created, just loving the penguins and that fab sentiment..
Babs x