It took me a while before I had time to play with them, but I finally made the effort earlier this month. I was planning a trip with my friend Heather Maria and her family. I wanted to take her something special that I had handmade so that's when I got out the SSS plush dies. I decided a sachet would be fun to make. Here are my first two (and only, so far) attempts:
Supplies: Dies - Simon Says Stamp Plush Blooming Heart - S376 & Plush Charmed Heart - S377
Felt, Fusible Interfacing & filling from JoAnn's; DMC embroidery floss; May Arts ribbon; fragrance pouch from Michael's
I started by making the one on the left but couldn't resist making another so did the one on the right (Heather got that one - more on the trip later...). I bought a bunch of different felt colors, then cut the hearts in powder blue (2 of each) and the embellishments from teal, pink, rose, chartreuse, & green. My Vagabond got a workout that night!! So, I'm making sachets but what do I get for fragrance?? I didn't want to use the dried flower potpourri stuff. I ended up buying some of those envelopes that you normally leave sealed and throw into your dresser drawers. I opened one up and what's inside looks like clay crumbles - very fragrant - as in so strong, I was sneezing a lot! Knew I didn't want to use much of it and I didn't want it to stain my felt!! What could I do??
I ended up buying some fusible interface and I diecut two heart shapes for each sachet from the interface. I put a bit of the scented clay inside of one, popped a second atop, and sealed them with my iron. I trimmed the pouch down, cutting off most of the stitching holes but left a few at top and bottom to anchor it inside the felt hearts. I stitched the ribbon hanger onto the scented pouch and, when I stitched the pouch inside the felt hearts, I used some plush filling to fatten them up. I stitched all the embellishments onto the front hearts before adding the pouch, plush and back, then stitched together. I used a hot glue gun to adhere the bitty flowers.
The shapes are fun to stitch and you can put together a sachet in an afternoon. The hardest part was putting together the sachet pouch but it was well worth the effort! If I had been more ambitious, I could've make a bunch of these for our chorus fundraiser in May.....oh well! I was lucky to make two - prototype for myself and a second one for Heather. I know she really liked hers - mine is still sitting in a bag from showing it to some friends. Really should get it into the closet!
Thanks for stopping by and I hope you're having a fabulous week!!